Box Blade Primer

/ Box Blade Primer #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I was wondering if someone could give me a primer on how to use a box blade effectively. I am new to owning a tractor and have never done any grading work, I just got on my tractor on Friday. There are three things I am trying to do. First we just build a house and there is a ridge of soil where the silt fence was. I would like to smooth that out and bring the soil back up into the yard. Also the yard has some low spots that collect water. I would like to fill those in while making a way for the water to drain. Third the land was a farm field and I would like to start smoothing out the furrows.

I have gone out a played with the BB but I seem to be making more of a mess. One thing I think I need to do is either mow the weeds or wait until next spring when the weeds are small. Also since the ground is uneven the BB digs in in some places then rides up in others. Do I just keep going over it little by little? Also there seems to be a very fine line between the scarper digging and bogging the tractor down, spining the wheels, and the BB doing nothing.

An help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Eric

/ Box Blade Primer #2  
I'm no expert but adjust top link to angle the cutting edge. You may want to till up the sod before trying to smooth and level out. I just gave you good reason to purchase a tiller and a rake. Man that's smooth

/ Box Blade Primer
Seapea,
Thanks for the link. That was what I was looking for. It sounds like more seat time and practice. At least now I know what to try.

Thanks,
Eric

/ Box Blade Primer #5  
Best thing I did for my box blade (besides reading the "I Suck" thread) was add a hydraulic top link. It makes the subtle adjustments much easier and really makes the back blade section usable.

As for your weed patch, consider knocking it down chemically. If you spray it with RoundUp or equivalent glysophate herbicide, it will be dead in about a week. It blades much easier then, and you can then sow, plug or sod after you get your grade established.