Bought the B2910.

/ Bought the B2910. #1  

Rick Jay

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.
Hi All,

Thanks again for all of your help in my last month or so of decision making. I decided to go with the B2910, and put a deposit down on it yesterday with my local dealer. His initial price was quite a bit higher than some of the "internet boys", and at first looked like he might be non-negotiable. After some discussion, and showing him three "delivered" prices I received from internet sources, he was able to sharpen his pencil a bit and we arrived at what I thought was a fair deal. (I still have 5% to pay to the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts, but that can't be avoided with a local dealer. Anyway, SOMEONE has to pay for the Big Dig!!!) My deal was not the lowest of my offers, but I think it was fair. I am very satisfied with the attention and time my local dealer has given me so far and felt that he worked for and deserves the sale. Others may not feel so obligated, but I do, and don't mind paying a bit more to support a local business.

So, the final machine is to be equipped like so:

Kubota B2910, R4's, foldable ROPS, LA402 with 54" bucket with toothbar, Woods 7500 backhoe with subframe, pump kit and 16" bucket, Woods 1160 posthole auger with 12" bit.

I guess I have some special distinction as this will be the first B2910 that he has sold. He has it in the crate, ready to be assembled. Some of the accessories are on order, so I hope to see my tractor within a few weeks.

Oh, my wife STILL thinks I'm crazy and thinks I'm going to kill myself. Actually, most people I know say I'm crazy and I have found the ideal comeback. I just tell them "Yes, I know I'm crazy for doing this. If you want an argument, we will have to debate some issue with which we disagree." Most just laugh, shake their heads and move on. My dealer has set some of my wife's fears at ease by assuring her that SHOULD the tractor result in my untimely end, the tractor will be easy to sell.

Thanks again to all who participate on this board. It has been a valuable source of information for me over the past month or so. Once I receive my B2910, I look forward to posting some of my experiences...assuming I don't kill myself the first day!.

Take care,

Rick

/ Bought the B2910. #2  
Rick,

Congratulations and welcome to the "Owner's Circle"! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

/ Bought the B2910. #3  
Welcome to the group. That ought to be a fine rig! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and probably surprise the wife with the work you get done.

Bird

/ Bought the B2910. #4  
Rick - Congratulations! You're going to have a lot of fun using your new tractor.

Your attitude regarding dealers is a commendable one, as far as I'm concerned. They have to stay in business, too. We all want them to (well, most of them). Everybody deserves to make a living. He sounds fair, and if he is, he appreciates your attitude, too.

For what it's worth, I'm sure you realize your chances of killing yourself, or injuring yourself seriously, are quite small, assuming you keep your present attitude regarding safety. It's not always a pleasant subject, but if you have time while you're waiting search this board, and especially the archives for some very helpful tips. The main one, you'll find, is to wear the seatbelt at all times. There are lots of other things to keep in mind, too, and they'll all here. The manual isn't bad, either, but we're better. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

And you may be crazy, but I doubt the tractor will be the deciding factor. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ Bought the B2910.
Hi Mark,

Yes, I know that my chances of seriously injuring myself are pretty slim. I'm usually VERY safety conscious-can't even back my car out of the garage without wearing my seatbelt- and I plan on being even more careful with my new "baby".

I also agree that this board and its archives serve as a tremendous resource for all tractor info, especially safety. I have picked up quite a few hints already, and learn more everyday, thanks to the numerous, experienced posters like yourself that are willing to share your knowledge.

I've also picked up a copy of the book "Operating Techniques for the Tracto-Loader-Backhoe" by Gary J. Ober (ISBN: 0-911785-01-9, available from http://www.equiptrain.com). Although it's written for much larger units than my B2910, much of the safety advice is applicable to smaller units. The sections on center of gravity, safety, backhoe techniques and loader techniques are especially helpful. I strongly recommend it to anyone that uses a TLB.

Now, it's just a matter of time before I can start putting some of my reading into practice.

Thanks again,

Rick

/ Bought the B2910.
Hi Bird,

Oh, oh. That's right. Now I'm going to have to actually DO all those jobs that I've been putting off. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Actually, I'm looking forward to them /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Thanks for all of your valuable input to this forum.

~Rick

/ Bought the B2910.
Hi JimBinMI,

Thanks, it's nice to be a member of such a fine group of people as all of you. I'll try to do my best to earn my keep around here.

~Rick

/ Bought the B2910. #8  
Rick, thanks for the kind words, but I won't take credit for more than a fair share of the safety posts - there have been many, many excellent contributions from many different contributors to this subject.

Mark

/ Bought the B2910. #9  
Always glad to hear of other firm believers in seat belts like myself. My first ones were after market belts I installed in my car in 1962 when it came without belts. I've been wearing them ever since, and it undoubtedly saved my life on 12/29/65 when my partner rammed us head on into a tree hard enough that it broke my belt and I stuck my head through the windshield, but without the belt I'd have probably gone all the way through.

I also rode motorcycles for several years and the worst I ever got hurt was a skinned knee and elbow, but that was probably because I'm convinced that if you ride a motorcycle long enough, it's going to hurt you bad some day, and every time I got on one, I thought about that and just hoped today wasn't going to be the day. And I try to go about operating tractors and farm machinery with the same attitude. Great machines, a lot of fun, get a lot of work done, and I'm always scared of them.

Bird

/ Bought the B2910. #10  
I talked to a very different breed of tractor operator a couple weeks ago. I've been meaning to tell everyone, but keep forgetting.

Anyway, I stopped at a small country store to get a soda and a couple of contract utility line clearing crews were there. They have these tractors with full cages, skid plates, race-car type restraining harnesses - you get the idea. So I was looking over their rigs, and just had to ask if they ever rolled them. I don't know if they were telling the truth or not, but one of them said "Not this week, but today's only Tuesday." I just assumed he was joking, until he said to the other one "But you got the week off to a good start, didn't you?" And he said, "Yeah, I rolled mine yesterday." Then they proceeded to tell me they roll them, on average, at least once a week. So I asked them what they did and they told me they had kill switches that shut the tractor down automatically if they tipped over, and after it stopped rolling, they unstrapped themselves, hooked a winch cable to a tree and pulled themselves upright. I'm not sure they were giving me the straight scoop, because they had a sort of smirking expression most of the time. Clearly they considered me a tenderfoot and didn't want their reputation damaged being seen talking to the likes of me. Of course, I was driving the VW at the time... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Still, if they were remotely truthful, it's not a way I'd want to make a living.

It was interesting, though. Anyone else know anyone that does that kind of work?

Mark