Backhoe Bought JD TLB in a poke?

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke? #1  

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
JD TLB will only pull in reverse after working.

Well the kids wanted to dig so we we did. That went very well for all three of us. We filled with the BH at first than I used the bucket.

When we started to the house I put it in 3rd and it would not move but it would in 1st forward. It pulls fine backwards so I just put it in third and backed most of the way to the house.

In hindsight I should have tested it HOT. Do I get to pay for it again at the repair shop?

The lift fluid level is OK but I have not yet found where to check the transmission level.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Bought JD TLB in a poke? #2  
Re: JD TLB will only pull in reverse after working.

Well the kids wanted to dig so we we did. That went very well for all three of us. We filled with the BH at first than I used the bucket.

When we started to the house I put it in 3rd and it would not move but it would in 1st forward. It pulls fine backwards so I just put it in third and backed most of the way to the house.

In hindsight I should have tested it HOT. Do I get to pay for it again at the repair shop?

The lift fluid level is OK but I have not yet found where to check the transmission level.

Thanks

Brakes on??

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke? #3  
Is this the Massey in your Profile? Or another tractor altogether?
Is your tractor gear or hydro? If gear, does it work OK in the other forward gears? If it does, your third gear might be wiped (teeth gone).
If a hydro tranny, does it do OK in 2nd range?
Some hydro tractors just don't pull well at all (with a load) in 3rd (high) range. Nature of the beast...

BTW, if it is the Massey, you might get better responses in the M-F forum (rather then the Deere forum).

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke?
Sorry, it is the 1983 John Deere Model 210 B backhoe we bought home Monday night. The shuttle seems to pull OK in reverse but is slipping (worse when hot) and will only move in 1st gear forward.

I since called the shop that works about only on JD equipment and he is going to pick it up and pull pressure readings then let me know what to expect if it has to be gone into.

We just was not expecting this but it is our first shuttle shift ever. I have read where this model does not have a torque converter.

The hoe dug fine and the kids had a blast. It was when I started to fill with the loader I noticed the issue and wound up backing up the hill to the house.

Does these have different clutch packs (not sure on what they are called) for forward and reverse. The guy at the shop mentioned something about internal leaking, etc but he is going to run the test to see if pressure specs are OK or not first.

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke? #6  
Does your backhoe have a Powershift transmission?

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke? #7  
just sounds like a bad clutch to me.

just sounds like a bad clutch to me.

The clutch could be a problem but it will jerk you hard for a while after you first start using it like it aways does in reverse. From reading the clutches seem to hold up well but the O-rings in the cylinder start to leak and let fluid (especially when it gets hot) by pass so it takes longer to activate the forward clutch.

When I get it into the shop the pressure testing should show where the pressure is being lost. At 27 years it may be a combo of several factors. :)

I am hoping if it is just the cylinder it can be down by just removing the top plate and not require cracking the drive train.

Tomorrow I am going to a backhoe graveyard in Wolf Lake IL across the river from cape girardeau mo to pick up a better seat pedestial. Schaefer Enterprises phone is 800.626.6046 and google will find you their website. Will report on what I see.

/ Bought JD TLB in a poke? #10  
Unless you got it from a dealer & they are willing to back it up, I'd say your screwed. Better get ready to spend some money on it, Bad Luck I guess?? Nothing worse then the excitement of a new toy, then the let down of it's bad!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

4933 2635 JOHN DEERE WING FOLD DISK PLOW 26'5'' 2023 MODEL ROCK FLEX ''LESS THAN 100 ACRES'' S/N:... (A34733)
4933 2635 JOHN...
DEMO HITACHI ZW95-6C RUBBER TIRED LOADER powered by Deutz diesel engine, equipped with EROPS, air, (A34907)
DEMO HITACHI...
New 72" Swict Smooth Bucket (A34302)
New 72" Swict...
FORD 4.6L V8 ENG & AUTO TRANS W/ TRANSFER CASE (A34808)
FORD 4.6L V8 ENG &...
3-point Scratcher (A34573)
3-point Scratcher...
12' JOHN DEERE OFFSET DISC (A34808)
12' JOHN DEERE...