Boom pole stinger

/ Boom pole stinger #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
I'm interested in putting together a stinger similar to one in photo, but instead of bolting to the FEL bucket, I'm thinking I can use my boom pole and either attach to my fork attachment or perhaps find a way to directly use the ATI quick attach (without buying another ATI bracket). While my reach would be less, it would still meet my purpose (about 10 feet). Use would be as in pic and assist in erecting SIPs for my house. Anyone done something along these lines? Comments and suggestions appreciated.

David

Attachments

• 700693-Stinger.jpg
    700693-Stinger.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,568
   / Boom pole stinger #2  
I suspect it would be easier to move about for position if over the front wheels that turn, rather than the back ones. But don't see any other reason, other than one or two more degrees of freedom when attached to the bucket.

/ Boom pole stinger #3  
I modified a TSC #PH Quick Attach to fit my FEL. This allows me to put 3PH attachments on the FEL. It has worked well for me. However, I have not used it to put up buildings. Here is a link to a picture on TBN. Click Here. There is a thread on different ways TBNer's have mounted their Boom Pole to the FEL. Could not get search to work this morning. Will post a link when it works.
Here are the threads.
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here

/ Boom pole stinger
Thanks guys.
The links are great Ron. Just don't understand how I didn't find any when I did a search. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Perhaps, because I'm only a "visitor", not qualified yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like your set up Ron. I'll have to investigate what'll be available locally as shipping a 3 PH quich hitch is too expensive, especially if I add the ATI plate.

David

/ Boom pole stinger #5  
When I visited Texas last spring. I believe that jinman has a 3PH adapter for his QA. I have sent a PM to him asking to look at this thread.

/ Boom pole stinger #6  
I built a boom pole that attached to my New Holland Quick-Tach and to my three point hitch. See Boom Pole for QuikTach and Three Point Hitch.

It works pretty well. If I were to do it again I would put the boom on the bottom (in compression), and the braces on top (in tension).

/ Boom pole stinger #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I really like your set up Ron. I'll have to investigate what'll be available locally as shipping a 3 PH quich hitch is too expensive, especially if I add the ATI plate. )</font>

David, are you now in HI? Is that what the shipping issue is?

I do have a QA 3PH adapter that is a New Holland attachment for my NH quick-attach loader bracket. It was about $300 from my NH dealer. Frankly, I like Ron's home-made adapter much better because he was able to take a regular Speco type 3PH adapter and modify it to fit his loader. If you have a welder available, you might do something similar.

With any of these adapters, you have to be sure the pin spacing will be correct. My adapter has 27" between the pin brackets, so a normal category 1 implement with 26" spacing will work with only 1/2" slop on each side. On a rear 3PH, the lift arms are free to swing from side-to-side and the toplink is adjustable in length to fit many implements. The FEL 3PH QA adapter has a fixed width and the toplink adapter is just a piece of barstock with holes drilled into it. There are some more expensive adapters that have adjustable pin widths.

I have a dirt scoop that is much too wide to fit. I had thought I would be able to put my dirt scoop on the FEL like a mini bucket, but I'll need to adapt it some more before that's possible.

Also the toplink may need to have an extension to hook on the toplink of some implements. I had to add a 2" extension to be able to attach a 3PH round bale spear. My subsoiler also had to be modified slightly. Once modified, they both work great. I just haven't had the occasion to use my boom pole yet, but I'm sure it will work fine when I have a need for it.

Do you have a local NH dealer? If so, he may be able to help you more than you think. Good luck with your house construction. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Boom pole stinger #8  
Ron, any idea how much weight you can lift with your setup?

I have a BX and I would be worried that getting that boom out front, I wouldn't be able to lift even 100#. I'm not smart enough to cipher it out, but the BX FEL lifts about 500#s. Moving it way out front, I'm sure it will drop off significantly.

I guess though, if you only need to lift 100#s way up high, that would be good.............

Ron

/ Boom pole stinger #9  
I lifted a little over 200 lbs with the boom pole straight out. It lightened up rear end of tractor but no more than loading FEL bucket with dirt. I built the hitch and boom mostly to reach into a garden pond and put items up in the second story of our barn. Nothing that weighs more than 500lbs.

/ Boom pole stinger
Jim
Not in Hawaii yet, but will be in two weeks, although I have to come back for a spell. Shipping is an issue as I've shipped my containers, but am seriously looking at shipping a pallet of stuff. I don't have a clue as to what I'll find locally other than there are several tractor dealers.

I'm learning a lot reading these linked threads - THANKS

David