Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator?

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #61  
@stumblinhorse I can't see companies offering a switch, as they would likely be on the hook for users a) not having in the right setting, and b) accidentally switching it.

Shipping with it bonded puts the state of the bonding firmly in the buyers court.

@CobyRupert I look forward to the next episode!:)

All the best, Peter

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator?
@stumblinhorse I can't see companies offering a switch, as they would likely be on the hook for users a) not having in the right setting, and b) accidentally switching it.

Shipping with it bonded puts the state of the bonding firmly in the buyers court.

@CobyRupert I look forward to the next episode!:)

All the best, Peter
My stuff came with these…. Hopefully a switch is in the future…
CC3E32C6-9266-4214-9088-08ECED40834D.jpeg

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #63  
This thread left me more confused than I was. My generator is an inverter generator (7800 watts) with the neutral bonded to the frame. I plan to use a Generlink to connect it to the house when the power goes out. I think this thread and the other links I have read say I should disconnect the bonding between the neutral and chassis of the generator. Not sure. FWIW the owner's manual says to connect the ground lug with a #6 wire (or larger) to the ground lug to the for the house. The wire would then be about 30 feet.

This thread left me more confused than I was. My generator is an inverter generator (7800 watts) with the neutral bonded to the frame. I plan to use a Generlink to connect it to the house when the power goes out. I think this thread and the other links I have read say I should disconnect the bonding between the neutral and chassis of the generator. Not sure. FWIW the owner's manual says to connect the ground lug with a #6 wire (or larger) to the ground lug to the for the house. The wire would then be about 30 feet.
From what I learned from this thread you should have floating neutral in your inverter if you are connecting to a house panel that has the neutral bonded And you are not using a transfer switch that transfers neutral. This is usually the case. But is not 100%. Need to look at your wiring to be 100% sure.

Grounding to a rod is not really needed at your house.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #65  
I installed my own sub panel for my generator. When it was inspected the inspector was concerned that the neutral was floating in the sub panel. He asked me about it and I showed him how the sub panel neutral as well as the generator input neutral and ground went directly to the main panel. So the neutral was only tied to ground in the main panel. So you are correct. The inspector was very keen to see that there was only 1 path to ground. The inspector told me that is was quite common to see folks who did their own electrical work to not have floating neutrals and to have extra grounding points. He asked me about the floating neutral just to make sure I knew what I was doing.
Eric
It appears you are right. Providing a ground wire would provide an extra path for return current in case of a fault. I guess that unbonding the neutral is related to the concern about providing an extra path to ground. That might prove to be bit more hassle. Gotta ensure the Generlink does not switch the neutral. If it doesn't, then isolating the neutral will be necessary.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #66  
This discussion combined with lack of accurate documentation is a safety headache.
All I want to do is SAFELY hook up my generator (Duromax 9000iH with bonded neutral) either to:
(1) Equipment directly - like plugging in an electric drill, or Extension cords to distribute to frig, window a/c
(2) To a proper connection and transfer switch to a subpanel to power my "critical" house circuits - a/c, microwave, etc.

But from my reading this thread it seems like (1) needs a bonded neutral and (2) needs a floating neutral.

What's the safest and easiest way to switch between?
Is a neutral-ground plug a valid solution?
neutral-ground plug
Well it's about a week later.
The maccgyver solution of disconnecting the an internal factory wire does not sit well with the lawyer.
Duromax says to use a 3 pole transfer switch. example of an automatic, but Duromax does not sell one.
Our son is going to be installing this outside under a covered porch in Mississippi. Any recommendations for an automatic 3 pole transfer switch?
Manual 3 pole transfer switches are easier to find, but recommendations for them would also be appreciated.

Well it's about a week later.
The maccgyver solution of disconnecting the an internal factory wire does not sit well with the lawyer.
Duromax says to use a 3 pole transfer switch. example of an automatic, but Duromax does not sell one.
Our son is going to be installing this outside under a covered porch in Mississippi. Any recommendations for an automatic 3 pole transfer switch?
Manual 3 pole transfer switches are easier to find, but recommendations for them would also be appreciated.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #68  
Are you recommending any specific ones?

Are you recommending any specific ones?
As you can tell from this thread there are a lot of variables for your situation and wiring. But the reliance systems seem to be a complete setup. The plug I put in was reliance is high quality and not overly expensive.

You said your son is installing something. What is he gonna install, and how is he gonna connect it. If he is adding all new stuff right at the main box, both plug and switch, the generac and reliance complete systems are a good set up.

/ Bonded or Floating Neutral for generator? #70  
I posted this video on your other thread, but i see you started another thread.
This thread too, will likely go off the rails due to different opinions and places that do things differently with how individuals install and/or use, their own generators.
Some info is good, some isn`t. Some gen`s are installed right, some are not. Its up to you to speak with your local electricians to make sure YOU are doing it right, in your area.

This video should help answer some questions about Bonded vs Unbonded.
Usually you see this with portable generators, where most aren`t connected to a transfer switch.

뉴 토끼
I have bonded neutral portable generator with full GFCI protection connected to a manual transfer panel in the house which also transfers the neutral. All works ok with the exception of the well. Haven't tried the sump pump. My question is this, can I connect a floating neutral portable generator to my transfer panel whichout any issues? Must I ground the portable generator outside if it is a floating neutral generator? Hopefully, I don't need to change anything in the manual transfer switch. I think the problem with existing setup it that the well being 500 ft deep loses sufficient current over the distance to trip the GFCI breaker. Thanks