Bobcat T550

/ Bobcat T550 #1  

wsmith1977

Tractor
John Deere 990
Can a Bobcat T550 pick up a 4,600lb log and set it on a trailer? Relatively flat and hard ground.

/ Bobcat T550 #3  

Performance

Rated Operating Capacity (ISO)
2,027 lb

Operating Capacity (50% of Tip)
2850 lb

Tipping Load
5792 lb

Operating Weight
7557 lb

Travel Speed
7.1 mph

Ground Pressure (Rubber)
4.9 psi

/ Bobcat T550

Performance

Rated Operating Capacity (ISO)
2,027 lb

Operating Capacity (50% of Tip)
2850 lb

Tipping Load
5792 lb

Operating Weight
7557 lb

Travel Speed
7.1 mph

Ground Pressure (Rubber)
4.9 psi
The tipping load is 5792lbs. It seems like these loaders are strong enough to lift until the back comes off the ground, but I am new at all of this. I was wondering if under ideal conditions a T550 could do it, carefully.

/ Bobcat T550 #5  
If you have it available, there's no harm in trying. If it works, then it works.....
could also try lifting one end into the trailer at a time; chain or strap around it and then around the bucket. Or somehow try to roll it up onto the trailer via makeshift ramps (so push it with the skidsteer).

just be extremely careful so nobody gets injured or no equipment gets damaged

/ Bobcat T550
Thanks, that's a good point. I don't have the machine available, I was thinking about buying one. The reason I'm asking about a 4600lb log is, I have one I need to haul to a mill, and I thought to myself that if I end up buying a track loader if it could move that log, I'd never need anything stronger than that. Not necessarily a deal breaker, just a point of reference as to the lifting capacity.

/ Bobcat T550 #7  
I don't know anything about mill requirements for logs they accept, but could you also just cut the log in half for hauling (so you would only have to lift, in effect, half the log at a time).

/ Bobcat T550 #8  
Pretty sure it will. My case tv450 has a tipping weight of 9,000 lbs and a max cylinder lift of 7,700 lbs. Have verified that on one occasion lifting a 7500 lb slab of limestone.

/ Bobcat T550
I don't know anything about mill requirements for logs they accept, but could you also just cut the log in half for hauling (so you would only have to lift, in effect, half the log at a time).
Its a big beautiful hickory log off a tree blown over during Hurricane Ida. I counted the growth rings as best as I could and I think it's about 115 years old. The log is 13ft long, and solid to the core, so I thought it might be a real jewel for making a couple of conference tables. However, I could cut it into two sections, maybe 8ft and 5ft and still have some impressive slabs for dining tables etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ Bobcat T550 #10  
Its a big beautiful hickory log off a tree blown over during Hurricane Ida. I counted the growth rings as best as I could and I think it's about 115 years old. The log is 13ft long, and solid to the core, so I thought it might be a real jewel for making a couple of conference tables. However, I could cut it into two sections, maybe 8ft and 5ft and still have some impressive slabs for dining tables etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

actually that's a good point; I was just thinking of logs used as basic building lumber.

if the log as a whole piece is worth more than cutting it into smaller pieces, then don't do it of course. Might be cheaper in the end to leave it whole and hire someone to load it or transport it.

when you mentioned making it into a conference table, I recalled one of those Loggers tv episodes where the guys that brought up underwater logs in Florida got something like $8,000 for one log that someone was going to make into a conference table.

so hold off cutting it up just for loading purposes.....