Bobcat Freeze-up

/ Bobcat Freeze-up #1  

Spottedcowboy

I just purchased an old 610. It was working fine until the weather turned very cold. My theory is that I have a collection of ice in the hydraulic filter. The boom or bucket won't function. The guy I bought it from said he got it to lift last winter, but that he had to run it for several hours to warm up the hydraulics. I'm worried that this might damage the pump, since it gets it's lubrication from the oil. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bobcat Freeze-up #2  
Sounds like it's way past due for fluid and filter changes. Hydraulic oil (fluid) won't freeze. Water in it, will.

/ Bobcat Freeze-up #3  
If stored outdoors you might want to switch to synthetic fluids on your next change. In cold temps the grade of fuel you use may begin to gel up and oils and fluids tend to thicken up all of which cause hard starting and sluggish operation. Park it in a heated garage for a few hours and see if the bucket starts to operate when warmed. Since you just bought it I'd service all the fluids and filters.

/ Bobcat Freeze-up
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it could use a tranfusion. My cousin has a construction business and he said that the hydraulic tank could get a bunch of condensation if the machine sat for too long. I'm figuring that the filter did its' job and filtered a bunch of ice crystals out of the oil. Once I get it home, I might be able to thaw it out and drain it. I'll know more once I get my grubby hands on that filter.

/ Bobcat Freeze-up
Well, got her home. The hydraulics ran enough to get the bucket out of the way to trailer it. I got it into the bottom of my garage (unheated). I tarped it with some plastic and ran a heater for two days to thaw it out. I had the air temp under the tarp up to a whopping 50. Once the steel warmed up I pulled the plugs. YUCK! This poor thing needed milked. Anyhow, a new filter and hydraulic oil and we are functioning. Engine needed it too, but at least it was straight oil.
Runs great. I'll need to service all of the linkage ends. Sloppy. And the steering levers are loose too. Now if I can find a cage for it....