Bluebirds.

/ Bluebirds. #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Started checking my birdhouses today to make sure they were clean. When I got to one bluebird house I found six dead bluebirds in the box.
I have heard of them packing jn a house for warmth till they suffocate but it hasn’t been that cold here this winter.
Anyone else have this issue.

/ Bluebirds. #2  
I will, on rare occasions, see a blue bird or two. They are passing thru to greener pastures.

/ Bluebirds. #3  
I never clean any of my birdhouses.

I noticed bluebirds going in and out of 2 of them yesterday.

/ Bluebirds. #4  
That's a lot (of full grown adults?) for one house. I clean out the houses at least once every year and have found intruders had moved in, often.

/ Bluebirds. #5  
I never clean any of my birdhouses.

I noticed bluebirds going in and out of 2 of them yesterday.
I check mine to make sure they aren't getting overfilled. Only clean them if they are or if Wrens have moved in. We had a pretty gentle Winter so I saw Bluebirds thru most of it. We had 3 weeks of extreme weather and didn't see any during that time. I have five Bluebird nest boxes on my yard fence. Three of them have already been claimed that I know of. I built two additional boxes couple days ago. Gotta figure out where to put them. We are going to warm up the end of this week and the frenzy will begin. :)

20210316_095305.jpg

/ Bluebirds. #6  
I quit putting up Bluebird houses several years ago. But I still see as many as 10-15 together sitting on my backyard power line over an open field. They sit up there and watch for insects on the ground....feeding for several minutes at a time....coming and going till dark . There are no cats or dogs or people around to disturb them.....just me quietly sitting in a lawn chair.

/ Bluebirds. #7  
I quit putting up Bluebird houses several years ago. But I still see as many as 10-15 together sitting on my backyard power line over an open field. They sit up there and watch for insects on the ground....feeding for several minutes at a time....coming and going till dark . There are no cats or dogs or people around to disturb them.....just me quietly sitting in a lawn chair.
I enjoy watching Bluebirds feed. They are opportunists. Perching on whatever is available and gliding down for the meal. Saves a lot of energy.

Wouldn't it great to have eye sight like that. They like to sit on top of my Martin House Poles, 14ft in the air. Will glide halfway across the yard and pick up a small insect. I'd have to be within a few feet of it to see. Pretty amazing.

I like Bluebird's personality. They are polite, quiet and relaxed.

/ Bluebirds. #8  
   / Bluebirds. #9  
Those brackets look very handy!!!! I think I'll see if I can build one. Obviously I don't value my shop time..... I'll spend all day building one to save $5.......

/ Bluebirds. #10  
I bought the horizontal ones and vertical ones and they are very well made, especially for the money.