Blueberries

/ Blueberries #41  
Rare to see honeybees in our blueberry patch. Their flowers are too long and tubular for them to reach. Mostly pollinated by bumblebee and carpenter bees. The later cheat usually by piercing the side of the flower to reach the nectar with less pollination. Bumblebees are better cold weather pollinators.

Some Yellowjackets and wasps on over ripe fruit.

Birds, other than turkeys, usually not too bad. Occasional squirrel.
Most years I have lots of problems with wasps eating my raspberries. The only thing I can do is pick early morning before they show up.

/ Blueberries #42  
I'm sure the deer will nibble them but not an issue. Grew up with 8 plants. Only covered when starting to turn to protect from birds. We would put down a layer of sawdust every year. Wife and I just put in 6 couple years ago. Sucks not having lots to eat yet. Once established want to remove about a 3rd of the plant to keep production high. You want to prune when cold for extended amount of time which anymore is tough to do. Rotate your pruning so you’re not limiting your supply. And most of all enjoy them.

Last edited:
   / Blueberries #43  
Didn't make it all the way through the replies; but bed them well with pine bark mulch to keep weeds and sprouts from coming up. Avoid watering too late or over night, as that can lead to mold problems.

/ Blueberries
We have lots of home-grown pine bark!

/ Blueberries #45  
We have lots of Doug Fir chips, is that any good?

/ Blueberries #46  
We have lots of Doug Fir chips, is that any good?
Blueberries love acid soil, so pine needles would be better than bark, but I would think that any conifer tree residues would add a bit of acid. And then it could be unnecessary if your soil is already on the acid side. I can grow raspberries but not blueberries because my soil is a bit alkaline due to calcium.

/ Blueberries #47  
Blueberries love acid soil, so pine needles would be better than bark, but I would think that any conifer tree residues would add a bit of acid. And then it could be unnecessary if your soil is already on the acid side. I can grow raspberries but not blueberries because my soil is a bit alkaline due to calcium.
Thanks for the reply!

/ Blueberries #48  
The ol’ pine tree , chicken or the egg theory.
Did the pine tree make the soil acidic, or do pine trees simply thrive in acidic soil, like blueberries do? 😀

/ Blueberries #49  
I added sulfur to my land before I planted my bushes

/ Blueberries #50  
I sprinkle some sulpher too. Pine bark Beatles killed the pines around my patch 20 years ago.