Blueberries

/ Blueberries #21  
Torvy: first picture is looking out East facing window of my house. Second is the best picture I just took. It's raining now.
Blueberries are to the right of green shed.

Attachments

• 20240306_094423.jpg
    20240306_094423.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20240306_104239.jpg
    20240306_104239.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
   / Blueberries #22  
I’ve got hundreds of hybrid bushes and lots of experience. In my area, the biggest thieves/destructors of my blueberries are as follows, from biggest problem to least:

Honey bees
Yellow jackets
Blue jays
Cardinals
Gray squirrels
Japanese beetles
Paper wasps
Deer
Fox
Bear

/ Blueberries #23  
@Alan46 That's quite the wildlife fence!
The fence was built by the couple ( he was a master carpenter) who built the house! We have Deer, Bears, Elk, Birds and miscellaneous critters!
We were very fortunate to get this property 5+ acres, the owners were transferred to another state in 2014!

/ Blueberries #24  
We have problems with rabbits and deer eating the tender new growth on our plants. If I fence them off, there are a lot less problems. That's about the only troubles we have.

Neighbor gave us 3 plants several years ago. Heavy producers. Do not know the variety, but big tasty berries.

Two years ago a woman was closing a blueberry farm. Giving the bushes away. I got 10. This will be the first year for them. We'll see how they go.

/ Blueberries
Torvy: first picture is looking out East facing window of my house. Second is the best picture I just took. It's raining now.
Blueberries are to the right of green shed.
Nice setup. I'll try to get a picture of ours. Just came inside. It's about 80 outside and I am worn out. We just put in about 200 ft of drainage. Not ready for the heat to start.

/ Blueberries #26  
IMG_2095.JPG

Mine from a couple of years ago.
Dont know the variety, ordered them in the 80s from sum cheap mail order firm.
They are about 12’ tall. I planted them a bit too close.

/ Blueberries #27  
Nice setup. I'll try to get a picture of ours. Just came inside. It's about 80 outside and I am worn out. We just put in about 200 ft of drainage. Not ready for the heat to start.
LOL. I’m ready for it to warm up.

/ Blueberries #28  
Good Evening Torvy,
Anyone else grow blueberries? Any advice or suggestions

I planted 6 bushes about 10 or 12 years ago. They have been good producers !

We have concrete reinforcment mesh I am using as a fence. About 5ft high. My biggest problem are the birds. I have been very tempted to throw some mesh over them when the berries come out !

I have done virtually nothing to promote growth. Now the grand kids are getting interested in picking them in the fall, so I may put in a few more bushes ! ;)

/ Blueberries #29  
Sorry, my joke failed. All plant life is organic. 😀
I think when you add or plant in man-made chemicals, it loses its’ “organic” status???

/ Blueberries
I think when you add or plant in man-made chemicals, it loses its’ “organic” status???
I am not a fan of that term for chemical-free. Another group deciding how much or what types of things qualify. The word already existed and has a meaning. The huggers like to use words already in use to gain acceptance.

I don't use many chemicals, mostly because I am cheap. We already live too long. Dad hits 92 on Saturday and seems like he is just marking time until mom lets him die.