Blue Grease

/ Blue Grease #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
I was getting ready to lube my TC40D for the first time and was looking at the fittings - the grease was <font color="blue">blue </font> in color. I thought to myself, "This is weird.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"

First, I did a search on this site and found that blue grease is usually marine grease and not compatible with lithium grease. People were saying you had to clean it out and start over, etc. and I thought, "What a PITA /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif!"

I called my dealer and asked what they used, and they said "any-old-thing" that meets NLGI#2 specs. The service manager says he has seen grease in black, grey, brown, blue and red. While I'm running errands yesterday, I decide to pop in the dealership. They have a good grease gun on sale and I buy a couple tubes of NH 9613310 to go with it.

I'm loading the gun this morning and, lo and behold /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif - it's <font color="blue"> BLUE! </font> I guess New Holland wants the grease smears to match their paint.

I put this up here just to let people know - I was almost convinced that blue grease is always marine grease and almost bought THAT so I wouldn't have had to clean out the old grease. I guess I would have REALLY mucked it up.

Mark

/ Blue Grease #2  
Each lubricant manufacture has their own grease type color, and it may or may not match another manufactures color. Is the NH 9613310 grease an Extreme Pressure (EP) grease? If not, you might want to get a second grease gun and use EP grease on your FEL fittings. Chassis grease NLGI#2 has a tendency to pound out of the pins rather quickly. Caterpillar recommends EP grease with a max of 3% moly added. If the NH 9613310 is not EP grease, you could use it elsewhere on your new tractor or family vehicles. Here is a link that explains the different types of grease and their compatibility. Grease Guide

/ Blue Grease
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is the NH 9613310 grease an Extreme Pressure (EP) grease? )</font>

The tube says "with extreme pressure additives."
Was $1.55 a tube.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Mark

/ Blue Grease #5  
I bought a case of Amsoil super duper synthetic grease (black color) thinking it would be the ultimate in grease for all the joints in my tractor. I have gone back to regular grease. What I did not like about the Amsoil was how difficult it was to remove after squeezing out of the joints. It smudged everywhere and a drop seemed to take 3 rags to remove. I have also found that the grease I use now appears to easily lubricate as well as the synthetic for the application of lubricating the many joints on a loader. My .01917 cents says to use a grease that not only lubricates well but is easy to clean off.

The link to Stant.com was very interesting, Thank You. Rat...

/ Blue Grease #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My .01917 cents says to use a grease that not only lubricates well but is easy to clean off. )</font>

Unfortunately, "easy to clean off" can also mean "washes out of where you want it to stay easily". Might not be as much of a factor is you are not working in wet conditions, but something to consider.

John Mc

/ Blue Grease #7  
My thoughts as well. Grease that is easy to clean off means it is not sticky, and won't stay in the bearing where it needs to be. I think you are defining the difference beween good high-pressure grease & a cheap one that doesn't preform as well.

--->Paul

/ Blue Grease #8  
We use a grease that's specially formulated for us by a Toledo, Ohio company that makes specialized greases. It's red in color, though I suppose we could get it in any color we wanted. It's like that Amsoil grease in that it won't come off anything, including your hands. It's really great on our forage implements as the hay tends to wipe grease off running gear and a field in the process of cutting usually has a high moisture content. The only problem is that we have to buy the grease in 150 pound drums. Loading my hand gun is a pain and messy too. We grease the farm equipment with a Lincoln Bulk Greaser. They are pretty expensive and I just keep the hand gun around for the cars. (they still have some grease fittings). It's got to be a lot cheaper to buy grease in bulk rather than in tubes. A 150 pound pail lasts us about a year. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

/ Blue Grease #9  
Yep.. I like that NH blue grease.. looks ok even smeared on my NH 1920... Though for my old ford 8N and NAA.. ( redbelliy fords ).. I use a peneplex ep.. red grease... again.. looks good on the paint!

Soundguy