Snow Attachments Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP!

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #11  
<font color="blue">Ive not tryed the tilt thing w/ my blower...how much angle to you have on it? I recall another thread somewhere in this forum that talks about a device someone added to their blower to keeps rock from being ingested. I looked but cant find it. Seems it was a screen of some type. Not sure how that would work though.
</font>

Jimg I'm not sure on the screen, never heard or saw anything like that mentioned before. My blower is angled backwards 3 to 5 degrees.

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP!
Rick,

Thanks - just the answer I was looking for. Now I'll have to check if the factory drive shaft bolt is a 5 or 8. This rock lodged in the fan, so the auger/drive sprocket bolt wouldn't have sheared anyway (right?)

Brad

jimg

I simply adjust my top link with the blower sitting on the garage floor. The skid shoes are at medium setting so it doesn't take much tilting back to get the cutting edge off the ground 1" to 2". It is surprising how much adjustment there is just by shortening or lengthing the top link. Hope to have a paved driveway at some point in the future, but we will never pave the entire road. It will be nice to be able to switch with just a few turns on the top link. I know, I know - now I have to get a hydraulic top link. My rear remotes are busy with the hydraulic chute and I wouldn't trade that for the world!

Brad

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #14  
Actually I never know which shear will break. They are both very easy to replace so it really doesn't matter which goes first. Just make sure you have a few extras and never work on the blower while the tractor is running. I shut the tractor down if the chute clogs to clear the blower. You don't want to be on the losing end of a snow blower accident.

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #15  
Ive never heard of it either but the idea was interesting. I sure wished I could find that thread.

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #16  
Looked at the shear bolts I got w/ the blower and theyre grade 5. Oddly enough the auger and not the fan is also fitted w/ a shear bolt.

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #17  
The shear bolt on the auger of my 59" front mounted snowblower is a 1/4" grade 5. The shear bolt on the driveshaft of my PTO PHD is 3/8" grade 2. Hopefully the shear bolts should let go "before stopping the engine cold". Let us know what grade bolts you end up with.

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #18  
Not too odd considering the auger gets the garbage before the fan will. They are counting on the shear at that point to head off the garbage getting into the fan asembly.

I think the fan is basically direct drive with the auger running off of it through the gear box. The shear bolt on the drive shaft should protect the fan, the shear bolt on the auger should protect the drive train and gear box, yes?

Brad

/ Blowin snow and glad I got the xtra HP! #20  
Brad I never put it in that perspective but it does make sense as you describe it.