Block Heaters 24/7

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #61  
Please realize that your block heater element is fragile when in use.
Be sure to unplug and wait a bit before starting.
Check out the Katz heater website.

Good Luck!

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #62  
Please realize that your block heater element is fragile when in use.
Be sure to unplug and wait a bit before starting.
Check out the Katz heater website.

Good Luck!
Yes, recommended to always unplug heater before starting to avoid burn-out from any possible air bubbles.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #63  
Another opinion: Block heaters have a high watt density. They heat a small area very hot. Listen to the heater when it's on. You'll hear a sizzling sound. That's the heater boiling the coolant. Leaving it on is boiling the coolant. Not only wasting energy, it's over heating the coolant.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #64  
Another opinion: Block heaters have a high watt density. They heat a small area very hot. Listen to the heater when it's on. You'll hear a sizzling sound. That's the heater boiling the coolant. Leaving it on is boiling the coolant. Not only wasting energy, it's over heating the coolant.

The sizzling is quite normal. The coolant has to be heated to circulate in the block.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #65  
Sometimes ,I use a timer to get the heater to start at say a given time, in the next morning. Most of the time, I plug it for 10 or 15 minutes before the use. I love in northern Quebec country,Canada.

/ Block Heaters 24/7 #66  
I assume with posting this on page 7, not many will see it, but here's the real story about engine heaters. I have used them my whole life. They are no more likely to burn down your barn than your radio is. They warm the engine and the oil so it will circulate much easier, sooner, and more completely. I just shake my head when I see people brag about how tough their machine is. "I start mine at -10, -20!" Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. The money you save on electricity will be spent a hundred times over on premature overhauls on your engine. That "clakety clack", as one poster said, is the sound of your engine running without lubrication to the bearings. That molasses in the pan can't get to the crank right away. Use your heater for 3-4 hours, start your engine while doing it a huge favor, and then use it and put it away. Use the heater again before you start it cold. Using the engine heater is smart, end of story.