Blade for brush cutter

/ Blade for brush cutter #1  

DannyLobster

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey GC 2310 TLB, Gravely 526
I busted the blade on my 30 inch brush cutter on my Gravely. I'm having a hard time getting the blade off. I have not tried a big cheater yet, but have tried a good sized wrench. I got to thinking, before I ruin my wrench, anyone ever taken oine of these off?
Any thoughts on getting the nut to turn?
I am holding the blade still and turning against the blade,
If I am successful in getting the nut loose, Is it going to spin or will the bade hold the spindle adequately?
Are replacement blades available?

Thanks,
Dan

/ Blade for brush cutter #2  
If you have the older 30 it's gonna spin, I think the last time I took mine off I beat on the wrench with a hammer, but once it came loose it spun right off. Wedge a board between the blade and housing so ya have both hands free to work.

/ Blade for brush cutter #3  
Ooopps, blades are still available for the right hand style, not sure about the left though. If the gearbox mounts to the deck shell with 6 bolts it's a right turn. Or check the casting number on the gearbox if it's a model 106 it's a right turn.

/ Blade for brush cutter #4  
Here is a link to tell you how to identify your mower. Untitled Document
If it is a left turn mower I'm not sure if you can still get blades. Try Gravelyparts.com to see if they have any.

Solo

/ Blade for brush cutter
It appears to be the 52-57 LH. Does the Left hand nut mean I should be turning left to tighten rather than left to loosen?
And will probably not be able to get a replacement?.

Dan

/ Blade for brush cutter #6  
I did look at the site Solo posted and they do list a lefty.

/ Blade for brush cutter #7  
I can't tell ya if the threads are right of left, I have only had the 106 gearboxes and they are normal,,,,,, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

/ Blade for brush cutter #8  
Turn it left to break it loose. If Richards doesn't have one try,

Antram Enterprises
734 Antram Rd., Somerset, PA, 15501
Tel: 1-800-324-6842 Tel: 1-814-443-6468 Fax: 1-814-443-9452
eMail: gravelyparts@cs.com.

Or sometimes I see them listed on ebay.

Solo

/ Blade for brush cutter
So it was a Left threaded nut. Left to Tighten - Right (clockwise) to loosen.
I was able to get it off and now just need to find a replacement. If anyone does need to do this on this model, I was able to grab onto one of the spacers with a pipe wrench to stop the spindle from turning. It must be unround.
Thanks so far.
Dan

/ Blade for brush cutter #10  
This reminds me of a funny time watching my father ry to remove the lug nuts off of out '68 dodge truck.:D
Who'd have tought they turned the other way!