Black Beans and Pork

/ Black Beans and Pork #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
This is similar to Cuban style black beans.

1 1/2 lb pork belly in 3/4" cubes
1 med onion chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 poblano chile chopped

Put all above into pot with 3 tbsp olive oil and fry it up somewhat.

Add:
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp mexican oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1 lb black beans. As always need to be top quality, otherwise will stay hard and tasteless.
salt and pepper
water

Cook for 2-3 hours. When beans are soft, mush up some of them to thicken the sauce.

Makes a great breakfast taco with mexican sour cream and cilantro. Or just in a bowl. Or in a burrito. Or on the side along with whatever. Anything really.

Attachments

• blackbeans.jpg
    blackbeans.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 185
   / Black Beans and Pork #3  
This is similar to Cuban style black beans.

1 1/2 lb pork belly in 3/4" cubes

1 lb black beans. As always need to be top quality, otherwise will stay hard and tasteless.
salt and pepper
water

I'd advise soaking the beans overnight. They will cook better, faster and more tender. I'm gonna try this. I usually use smoked pork neck bones for flavor and dd a ham bone and trimmings.

/ Black Beans and Pork
I never soak overnight except at high altitude (ie Wyoming 5000 ft). I avoid the overage stuff that is common in chain grocery stores. It is dry and tasteless and often has to be soaked so it will cook. Even so, it will never cook up as it should. The best suppliers I have found are local Mexican groceries, or Camellia beans in Louisiana, or Rancho Gordo in California. There is a huge difference in quality, by which I mean ease of cooking and flavor.

/ Black Beans and Pork #5  
We don't have that around here. And looking on-line, I'm not paying $6-9 for a lb of beans. Some of the supermarkets in area's with more Hispanics stock more ethnic products and probably have faster turnover.

/ Black Beans and Pork #6  
just came across this again.
Gonna make it.
Around here we can get bacon ends and trimmings for 1/2 the price of the real (good) local double smoked bacon. It contains a lot if big chunks of pure bacon meat. That and a locally smoked ham hock will add the Smokey pork flavor.