Birds

/ Birds #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I was looking out the window this morning here in the NC mountains watching the birds eat out of the feeder. It was 19 degrees out there! I thought to myself; why don’t these birds just fly to Florida or somewhere warmer. Its not like they have jobs or homes to sell, they could just take off down there for the winter. They could fly themselves, they don’t even have to worry about air travel rates or fuel cost! They could be sitting in a palm tree by a pool in 80 degree weather at some nice motel watching for a piece of bread or something to hit the ground. It doesn’t make any sense to me to stay here in this cold.
Sherpa

/ Birds #2  
<font color="blue"> why don’t these birds just fly to Florida or somewhere warmer. </font>

Florida and warmth are overrated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Birds #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Florida and warmth are overrated )</font>

you tell me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey it was in the 30's this morning here. but we will be right back up to 72 by Friday

/ Birds #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It doesn’t make any sense to me to stay here in this cold. )</font>

I guess some birds are smarter than others.
Some stay where it's cold. Don't know why...
Some are smart enough to fly south. (but know to stop when they get to a warm climate)

The one I can't figure out is the Arctic Tern.
Lets see...
Spend the summer in the Arctic tundra.
Then, fly almost 10,750 miles south so they can spend their summers at the edge of Antarctic ice pack.
Return back to the Arctic in the fall.
They live for about 20 years and spend most of their lives flying... (approx. 435,000 miles over their lifespan). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Don't they realize they can stop somewhere around the equator, kick back and enjoy life in nice warm weather? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Birds #6  
<font color="blue"> why don’t these birds just fly to Florida or somewhere warmer. </font>

Myself, I think the smarter ones just learned quicker that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the tracks... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Birds #7  
There are too many birds (the snow types) in FL already. This time of the year, when I go "home" to visit Mom, I have to fight my way down Bloody US27 in Polk County.

Bart

/ Birds #8  
hummm lots of birds still inohio too, some fly to capastrino and fla, while the others prefer the rich foods of the north... was reading in the paper today about this 1200 sq mile ice berg in south pole area, and the puinguins cant get out to feed or back to feed the chicks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif also 1200 sq miles of ice burge /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif thats some cold drinks there!

MarkM /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Birds #9  
I can assure you Florida is FULL of Snow Birds (Human Type) and they have purchases all the nice land areas near the ocean, then created associations and made rules that don't allow pets or anything else that doesn't add to there codo life and golf game.

Just a few comments from a Florida Cracker stuck in the middle of another winter to survive. Give me snow but you must take the snow birds in trade.

/ Birds #10  
<font color="purple"> I can assure you Florida is FULL of Snow Birds (Human Type) </font>

We have those here in AZ, too. They start snivelling when the daytime temps go below 65° or above 75°.