Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!)

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
My parents have a decorative statue of what I think is a sandhill crane inside their house leaning against a glass sliding door. Apparently this guy/gal saw it & took a likin' to it. Stayed outside looking in for quite a while, & didn't seem bothered one bit as I got within 10' for pics. I decided to see what he'd do if I put the fake one outside, but instead of love, he flew away.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_8566a.jpg

IMG_8547a.jpg

IMG_8537a.jpg

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #2  
That nis really neat pics

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #3  
I look forward to the Sandhill Cranes returning every Spring. They have been especially vocal this year!! Probably not the only ones jazzed about the weather. :)

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #4  
Bepp that is a sandhill crane. Seen many of -emm and thats about the healthtyest, prettiest one I've ever seen. Whats rare is seems like I always see-em in pairs. Like you stated maybe looking for a mate. Nics pic's !

Boone

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!)
Isn't it crazy how in pic 2 you can see right thru his beak?!

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #7  
I wonder what the difference is between sandhill cranes that are hunted for food and all the other cranes that are never eaten by humans. Personally, I've never killed any kind of crane so I wouldn't know what they taste like.

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #8  
I wonder what the difference is between sandhill cranes that are hunted for food and all the other cranes that are never eaten by humans. Personally, I've never killed any kind of crane so I wouldn't know what they taste like.

Me too. I think we discussed this a few years back. We get tens of thousands of sandhills migrating through spring and fall here in Indiana, but they are not allowed to be hunted here. I think it was you that mentioned a hunting season for them in Texas.

I guess it just depends on the number of birds in an area.

As for other species of cranes I think there are only two in the U.S.... the sandhill and whooping cranes (almost extinct). I read that sandhills are the most abundant of all the cranes and their population is increasing.

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #9  
I guess I tend to think of the herons as being about the same as cranes, but maybe they don't taste similar.:laughing:

/ Bird pic: A big, red-headed bird stopped by (a real bird, not a girl!) #10  
Neat pictures. What is that contraption in the background in pic number 2? A laundry dryer?