BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD)

/ BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD) #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
NEXT DOOR neighbor called me over to take a pic of a bird that was hanging around her front porch, bird was just cling ing to the post, I used a good part of my 10x OPTICAL zoom to get the shot with out scaring the bird away. we think it was a woodpecker, but it did not quite match anything in her book, the color was not right. so i thought i would ask you guys, there must be a knowledgable bird lover in the group.

Attachments

• 689765-50 resized  .jpg
    689765-50 resized .jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 409
   / BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD)
ANOTHER shot

Attachments

• 689766-49 resized.jpg
    689766-49 resized.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 258
   / BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD) #3  
It's a woodpecker for sure. An immature one but I'm not sure which one. If I had to guess I would say a yellow-bellied sapsucker.

/ BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD) #4  
Oh, uh, my guess is based upon the fact that the sapsucker's summer range includes New York and the picture of an immature sapsucker in Peterson's Field Guide is quite close to the bird in your pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( An immature one but I'm not sure which one )</font>

Thanks , i thought it might be a young bird, and when it finally did fly away, it flew like it was just finding it's wings.

that very much looks like the bird we saw EXECPT our bird did not have any red on it, could that have been because it was a young bird?

/ BIRD PHOTOS (NOT THAT BIRD) #8  
Frank, that's a different looking bird than any I have in my National Audubon Field Guide, but it's markings make it surely in the woodpecker family. It's grey belly make it look like a ladder-backed woodpecker, but it has no red on it's head, so it might be a female. I was set to call it a hairy woodpecker, but it doesn't have the white belly of one of those. The downy woodpecker also has similarities, but a very white belly. It could also be a female or very young yellow-bellied sapsucker as someone else suggested.