Bicycle inner tubes.

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
So I have a Trek bicycle that is about 15 years old. The rear tire went bad but still held air. I got a new tire, put it on, but the old tube leaked. Took it to a bike shop and had a new tire put on the front and a new tube in the rear. The both leaked. Long story short the rear wheel had a sharp edge where the valve stem was the I dremeled down. I went through a total of 5 tubes in the back and three in the front and the bike shop did the last 2 that finally held air.

The spoke guards were good. I used baby powder inside the tires and tubes to help the seat. I used my hands to seat the tires without tools. 15 years and no flats then all the sudden I can’t get them to hold air. I’m assuming I was somehow pinching tubes?? Tubes are cheaper than they used to be?? Any ideas?

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #2  
Tubes aren't cheaper but they are definitely lower quality. I had similar issues with bicycle, wheel barrow, and other small equipment tubes. Horrible quality and limited options in some cases.

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #3  
As an avid rider for over 25 years, I'd guess two possibilities:
1) if you put the 5 tubes in yourself and used the small plastic tire levers...you most likely punched the tube by doing that. I only use levers to remove a flat tube. Never to put on a tire. it takes some practice and it's not easy, but next time: a) put one side of the tire on the rim. b) using your mouth, put a little air in the tube to give it a round shape. c) slide the tube in and work the tire back on. it will get hard towards the end but use you hands to "roll" the tire on. d) push up the stem and make sure all of the tube is "inside" the tire all the way around the wheel.
2) your other issue might be that you need to pump up your tires about once a week - not maintaining the correct air pressure will give you flats.

If you do get a flat, you need to inspect and run your fingers over the entire tire to make sure there's no small pieces of metal or glass in the tire that must be removed before re-mount.

Last edited:
   / Bicycle inner tubes.
As an avid rider for over 25 years, I'd guess two possibilities:
1) if you put the 5 tubes in yourself and used the small plastic tire levers...you most likely punched the tube by doing that. I only use levers to remove a flat tube. Never to put on a tire. it takes some practice and it's not easy, but next time: a) put one side of the tire on the rim. b) using your mouth, put a little air in the tube to give it a round shape. c) slide the tube in and work the tire back on. it will get hard towards the end but use you hands to "roll" the tire on. d) push up the stem and make sure all of the tube is "inside" the tire all the way around the wheel.
2) your other issue might be that you need to pump up your tires about once a week - not maintaining the correct air pressure will give you flats.

If you do get a flat, you need to inspect and run your fingers over the entire tire to make sure there's no small pieces of metal or glass in the tire that must be removed before re-mount.

Thats pretty much the technique I used. A couple of the tubes going bad was from the sharp edge around the valve stem on my rear wheel. I think the bike shop reused my old front tube the first time, but I still had 3 or 4 tubes go flat that I couldn’t explain.

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #6  
I put new tires on my 1200C Sportster this year. It has a solid rear wheel and spoked front. I cleaned the rear bead with great detail. On the front I cleaned it and installed a new spoke band and a new Michelin tube. Both tires are leaking. I guess I will have to take it all back apart and submerge to find the leaks.

I don't ride often so I have just been filling with air before I go.

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #7  
15 years and no flats then all the sudden I can’t get them to hold air. I’m assuming I was somehow pinching tubes?? Tubes are cheaper than they used to be?? Any ideas?
You have never experienced Murphy’s Law before now?

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #8  
As another long time avid bicyclist I will chime in.

I agree with Ford850 that quality has suffered. Back in the 60's "better" tube stems passed through saddle-shaped washers that clamped the rubber. That gave way to molded rubber button reinforcements similar to auto tubes (remember them?). The size of the buttons shrank, and many tubes fail at the valve stem, The trend toward deep vee rims that require longer stems exacerbates the problem as the longer stems have more leverage in shallow rims. While tourists will accept heavy, durable tubes, racer wannabe's are weight weenies and demand lightweight tubes that are more permeable and that go soft without daily inflation. Good tubes are still available but at a premium; Schwalbe and Continental enjoy good reputations. They are both nominally German, but I have seen Made in Taiwan or Singapore on some of them. The Asians are capable of making good stuff, but the merchants that buy from them want cheap and get it. China and India are notoriously bad sources.

If the rim cross section has a deep center, one can work the bead into the center and get enough slack to mount a tire without tire irons. Some rims are shaped differently, and some (high pressure) tires are deliberately undersized, so tire irons are used. Tire irons require some care. If one pinches a tube with a tire iron or an inappropriate tool like a screwdriver, the "wound" will likely be a tear rather than a puncture.

The most common cause of repeat flats is a failure to remove the offending cause. As you discovered, this may be a sharp edge on the valve stem hole or any of the spoke nipple holes. It may also be a shard of glass or a short bit of wire that escapes notice. If you have time to inflate the tube and correlate the "wound" to a spot on the tire or rim that may help identify the culprit. I typically run my thumb around the inside circumference of the tire and hope my callouses are thicker than the shard is deep. Another cause is a second puncture that is less noticeable than the first. Often this is so small as to be undetectable without water, and being small will allow one to limp home with repeated re-pumpings.

In any event, you now have 8 tubes, some of which you could repair and have as spares. I do have opinions on on-the-road and back-at-home repairs but that is not germaine to your original question.

/ Bicycle inner tubes.
The tubes with holes near the valve stem seemed OK. I was able to put them on using my hands and both front and rear tires had never hit the road. The tubes I got off of Amazon so that may say it all. I think a case of Murphy’s Law may have hit also.

I would be interested in your thoughts on repairs also, more at home than on the road.

I also learned there is a different valve now called a Presta, which I don’t want.

/ Bicycle inner tubes. #10  
Turn tire inside out and use microfiber cloth to lightly drag across the inside of the tire(now facing out). I have had trouble finding small pieces of tire wire stuck in the bike tire with fingers. You can also put mark on tire at valve stem then find leak in tube to help search for cause of flat.