BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #191  
Yes, That's Paul from Youtube. He has a repair shop up in Newfoundland and has made tons of mods to his tractor, truck, pressure washer, other tractor, mods to mods, and mods to mods that needed mods.

Look at the picture. The concept is simple enough. people have been doing it for years on excavators. i can tell you first hand that a track hoe with a thumb and a bucket changer is very cool. Also cool is when you add a wrist and a 36" ditching bucket so you can do ditch clean-out and final landscaping.
there are some nasty side effects you need to be aware of.
Geometry... when Paul built his, he rotated the pin and hook positions out away from the dipper while maintaining the "tooth" position and not lengthen the bucket radius.
Look specifically at the ripper photo. imagine the tip of the tooth as the center of the circle. Rotate the ripper counter clockwise back towards the original attachment pins. he has them pretty much lining up and here's why.

1) When the radius from the pivot to the bucket gets longer, the curl force diminishes.
2) The longer the teeth get away from the pin, the closer they get to the boom when you boom back and curl up for storage. on industrial machines, the buckets can and will hit the boom with the big quick attach couplers
3) By doing it this way, he reduced how far you can uncurl. does't affect you until you are digging DOWN and you can dig the back of the hole anymore because you limited how you can uncurl by 10 degrees or so.
4) It DOES fix the pivot point issue with Kubota's OEM thumb. Their thumb rides on the same pin as the bucket. when you close the thumb, you sometimes squeeze out your victim because the inside closes tight but the outside is loose. (like a pair of scissors instead of a pair of channel locks)

Yes a changer is cool. On a bx24? Seems inappropriate.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #192  
Thanks for your outline. Yes, I was aware that was Paul 4shorts...mods of mods was correct....always well done.
Your point on #3 about losing bucket rotation would be very annoying. One reason I traded for bh77 was for a full 180 bucket rotation. At times even 180 can seem limiting.

You mentioned a "wrist" ...looked that up...if you were referring to an angling bucket....yes, pretty cool.

Also, I had a choice of two aftermarket rippers and based on what you wrote I sensed the one I chose had a better geometry, but you explained some key points...thank you.

One of the most impressive fabrications posted on this site was by a member from Europe that goes by befreakey that built his own BH...it was impressive in design and execution.

Last edited:
   / BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #193  
Maybe i will finish the CAD work on the parts and decide what to do then. My only motivation for doing this was when I added the thumb, it further complicates switching buckets (shared pin). I want to have a ripper tooth, but the messy bucket change... I should have moved the thumb on to it's own pin and bushing. it would have fixed the scissor effect with the thumb and bucket too and made the bucket changes easier.

yes, a wrist is the same as an angling bucket. they are very cool. my problem is i learned how to operate on excavators 25 years ago. Never used a backhoe until i bought this one last year. Can't buy an excavator for $7k :laughing:

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #194  
I can't say I've ever seen a wristed bucket on a backhoe

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #195  
Brian,

I've wrestled with the same issues swapping buckets (I have a 10" and 24") and would also like to get a ripper . . . just haven't decided which way to go on the ripper yet, buy build or do without. For swapping buckets I've used a nearly correctly sized socket to act as an alignment pin to hold one side and then drive out the other. Making two tapered pins on the lathe would be better, and that's my plan when I find the time (grin). Maybe all the time I'll save digging tree roots when I get that ripper?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #196  
Wanna hear something funny? My brother-in-law used to own a Deere 440 1964. It's a track crawler with the classic 2 cylinder "a" motor (gas) with a big front loader in it. (4" cylinders, big and strong!) We used to have problems with the track tensioner, hence we would throw tracks off on occasion. So you have to split the track and "walk it back on". We used to get the pin back in using an old Jewelers ring gauge. this is a tapered pin with sizes engraved up the taper (yes, wedding rings!) The fat end was the same size as the Deere track pins. we used to drive this in then chase it with the track pin. Redneck to the max! (not sure how we ended up with a jewelers ring gauge, maybe a wedding gift or something)

Maybe i will make two tapered pins and mail you one. I did kind of copy your thumb. (which is too much fun and cool btw)

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #197  
I thing it would drag on the ground. Guys around here have them on small excavators with dual remotes out on the dipper. one for the wrist, one for the coupler. That combo probably cost as much as we paid for our BH77's.
When i built my driveway (1991) I rented a D4 and a CAT 307 track hoe for a month ($4k/month for both machines) Young, single and lots of pocket cash back then.

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #198  
hey Bump,
would you be interested in seeing a milling machine DRO install i just did on my dad's Bridgeport?

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #199  
hey Bump,
would you be interested in seeing a milling machine DRO install i just did on my dad's Bridgeport?

Sure!

But it's a little late for me, I installed a DRO on both my lathe and mill maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Very well worth the cost and time to install - wouldn't be without one.

Only problem with the lathe install is I had to choose if I wanted to limit the travel of the carriage or tailstock for the cross slide sensor (I choose the carriage).

bumper

/ BH77 - has anyone considered converting mechanical thumb to hydraulic? #200  
Sure!

But it's a little late for me, I installed a DRO on both my lathe and mill maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Very well worth the cost and time to install - wouldn't be without one.

Only problem with the lathe install is I had to choose if I wanted to limit the travel of the carriage or tailstock for the cross slide sensor (I choose the carriage).

bumper

I will do a photo shoot tomorrow AM. i was buying a DRO for my mini mill. Told my dad. He was curiously interested. he is still machining at the ripe old age of 80. getting hard to read the dials, so i bought a 3 axis unit on Ebay for $475 shipped. installed it Thursday and friday evening, finished this morning. really nice unit. He thought he was he was paying for it. I blurted out "Happy Father's Day, and clean up the mess, old man"! Bolted out the door before he could say anything.

I love a good surprise.... i will post some stuff tomorrow.