Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...?

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #51  
   / Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...?
Most batteries come pre tabbed these days so a spot welder really isn't needed. But if you want to go that route you can make one, but it's not worth the effort unless you are planning to do a few and upgrade from nicad to lithium. I like some of my older tools vs the new ones. Just remember if you do that, you will need to change your charger but most of the new ones are backwards compatible. DeWalt batteries are overpriced, always best to buy in kit form and get multiple batteries at once, granted there will be a tool you don't care for or want in a kit.

I'm talking about welding the series/parallel connectors to flat-top cells. Not sonic welds to the battery case.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #54  
To get back to your original question and out of the weeds, the m18 series will do most of what you described. The only issue I have with them (this includes all the drill/hammer drill combo) is that when you do want it to drill concrete they are too fast and burn up the bits as fast. Sure you can feather the trigger but most people don't and tend to put the drill into high range to "cut faster". For that reason, while I have a few of that type, I also have a stand alone sds max hammer drill. But if you are not going to be coring or needing to drill a bunch of holes at once into concrete then the m18 will suffice. Milwaukee used to use Panasonic batteries in their packs (not sure they still do) and those were always among the best rechargeable. The brushless motors stand up to much more abuse, including getting wet, dropped in mud and in reality have a bit longer service life. As stated earlier in this thread, the drill bits make the biggest difference and using some cutting oil when dealing with metal, but from the sounds of it, you know that already.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #56  
?

I'm looking for a drill, not an impact wrench.
Sorry, I forgot to link that with the comment waaaayyyy back about breaking plow blade bolts and no battery tool has anything close to the break out force of electric.

To get back to your original question and out of the weeds, the m18 series will do most of what you described. The only issue I have with them (this includes all the drill/hammer drill combo) is that when you do want it to drill concrete they are too fast and burn up the bits as fast. Sure you can feather the trigger but most people don't and tend to put the drill into high range to "cut faster". For that reason, while I have a few of that type, I also have a stand alone sds max hammer drill. But if you are not going to be coring or needing to drill a bunch of holes at once into concrete then the m18 will suffice. Milwaukee used to use Panasonic batteries in their packs (not sure they still do) and those were always among the best rechargeable. The brushless motors stand up to much more abuse, including getting wet, dropped in mud and in reality have a bit longer service life. As stated earlier in this thread, the drill bits make the biggest difference and using some cutting oil when dealing with metal, but from the sounds of it, you know that already.
Yep! I started running a drill press on our farm in Junior High School a long time ago. The oil can sat on the press next to the drill chuck too!

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #58  
I'm not saying that Ryobi doesn't have good tools but, I will say they aren't available at normal retail places locally or online at a level that competes with the more classic premium options. Then there is the issue of future support. Ten years from now, I would rather be looking for a DeWalt or Milwaukee replacement battery than a replacement Ryobi too.
I'm not going to argue quality of Ryobi/Home Depot 18v tools, although they've served my need. But the best thing they've done is maintain battery interchangeability. You can use their latest Li battery in all the One+ tools back to the original blue ni-cad stuff. I don't think any other brand has maintained their form-factor that long.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #59  
?

I'm looking for a drill, not an impact wrench.
Maybe consider the impact wrench.

I have one and it beats the tar out of the same size hammer drills.

Mine is a DeWalt because that's what all my batteries fit, no other reason. It has a variable speed function, reverse, and a light up front. The only concern is having to either get the quick-attach drill bits, or a quick-attach chuck.

When my drills die or get liberated I'll probably replace them with impact wrenches.

Maybe consider the impact wrench.

I have one and it beats the tar out of the same size hammer drills.

Mine is a DeWalt because that's what all my batteries fit, no other reason. It has a variable speed function, reverse, and a light up front. The only concern is having to either get the quick-attach drill bits, or a quick-attach chuck.

When my drills die or get liberated I'll probably replace them with impact wrenches.

I am a bit hesitant to use an Impact on plate steel because it lacks some safety features. If the bit binds up, most of the modern drills will stop on their own which could save someone an injury and costs of medical care if they get hurt.

Then there is the issue of getting a 1/2 drive 'socket' to drill bit converter.

Impact drivers also don't run at the same speed as drills or hammer drills which could affect some usage.