"Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room?

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I know there's really good two part paint, but I just finished a 12x12 tack room, and ready to paint, although I still have a 4ft x 7ft insulated door to make.
It's all OSB, floor smooth concrete. I'm looking for best for the money. One wall is pegboard (should I paint also?). Walls R30, Ceiling R38. There are 2x10s behind wall for saddle rack supports. There's a loft which I'll paint also (no walls, just OSB floor).
Ceiling I'm thinking just flat white, no big deal on that. That first probably then walls something pretty durable. Floor most important.
I made a plywood door to cover electric panel, used dark stain I had. Color? (Don't say pink ).
20220209_180006.jpg
20220209_175900.jpg
20220209_175849.jpg
20220209_175825.jpg

Attachments

• 20220209_175931.jpg
    20220209_175931.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 102
   / "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #2  
I like Zinsser Perma-White Mold and Mildew proof paint...

Used it in the barn and a friend was always having trouble inside the cabin of his sailboat until he used it...

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #3  
I have never been able to paint OSB where it turned out looking good due to its rough texture so I just left it uncoated in my tackrooms. Plywood is much easier to paint to look nice. White ceiling paint always makes the room brighter even on OSB. Clear concrete floor sealer has been my choice in barns. YMMV.

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #4  
I know there's really good two part paint, but
So are you trying to stay away from two part paints / epoxies?

I'm only asking because if it was my space it would be what I would use... price is relative based on durability in my world... rather do it once & be done. Being in the contractor world I have seen way to many paint products fail...

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room?
So are you trying to stay away from two part paints / epoxies?

I'm only asking because if it was my space it would be what I would use... price is relative based on durability in my world... rather do it once & be done. Being in the contractor world I have seen way to many paint products fail...
Price is a concern. OSB smooth finished side is in so should paint easily.

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #6  
Price is a concern. OSB smooth finished side is in so should paint easily.
Have you ever painted OSB smooth side before? If it came out nearly as well as painting plywood, please let me know how you did it.

From the internet: The Engineered Wood Association (known as the APA) acknowledges that you can successfully paint "Exposure 1" OSB.1 Still, their central reservation is that OSB has a thin wax coating that protects it against moisture and inhibits painting. Also, OSB's strands' prominently visible nature will likely show through on one coat of paint, so filler and heavy primer are probably required to remove some of the texture of the wood.

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #7  
Any good brand interior or even exterior latex enamel will be fine , I would use enamel on the ceiling also, It is more durable. On the floor i would go with a poech and deck enamel if you want a color. I used eagle brand clear concrete coat in my new garage and really like it.

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #8  
Any good brand interior or even exterior latex enamel will be fine , I would use enamel on the ceiling also, It is more durable. On the floor i would go with a poech and deck enamel if you want a color. I used eagle brand clear concrete coat in my new garage and really like it.
Enamel is probably the best choice if you aren’t going to use an epoxy product. Yes OSB can be painted to look ok, but it usually requires multiple coats, and using a primer first makes this much easier.

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #9  
Definitely use a good primer. I like Kilz Mold & Mildew Int/Ext Primer, would especially help with the black lettering. As far as saddle racks we went with freestanding. Easy to move out to clean. The Western saddles go on the bottom and English on the top 2.

1644473862102.png

/ "Best" wall, floor paint horse tack room? #10  
On painting OSB - I've had good results using latex (some Walmart stuff for barns) on Advantech OSB, stuff is durable for years, but regular OSB would get weat under the paint and fall apart.