Best value ~72” flail mower?

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #1  

Lucky_Ducky

Tractor
MX6000 w/ cab
What is the best value flail mower in the 72-76” range? It will be pulled by an MX6000.

I have about 2 miles of trails and 8 acres of orchard I want to maintain.

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #2  
I really like the Italian and other European flails. I have a Maschio 10' flail.

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #3  
With eight acres of orchard to maintain - the "best value" might not, in the long run, be the best flail mower for you.

I suggest you search - "orchard flail mowers" and see what you get. Orchard flail mowers - by design - are pretty heavy duty units.

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #4  
Just went through a flail mower purchasing decision myself, focusing on 'best bang for the buck', not necessarily cheapest. Italian technology and components seems to dominate this market. Try to stay away from cheap Chinese stuff.
I went with an Ironcraft FMH 175, which is US made with Italian components. Has a hydraulic side shift, which comes in handy when you quickly need to mow between trees (however, you'll need an extra rear remote). I paid 5K$ cash for it, which is substantially cheaper compared to some of the boutique Italian brands such as Del Morino.

1708446387074.png

/ Best value ~72” flail mower?
Just went through a flail mower purchasing decision myself, focusing on 'best bang for the buck', not necessarily cheapest. Italian technology and components seems to dominate this market. Try to stay away from cheap Chinese stuff.
I went with an Ironcraft FMH 175, which is US made with Italian components. Has a hydraulic side shift, which comes in handy when you quickly need to mow between trees (however, you'll need an extra rear remote). I paid 5K$ cash for it, which is substantially cheaper compared to some of the boutique Italian brands such as Del Morino.

View attachment 853257

I have a top and tilt kit so I am leaning towards a hydraulic unit

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #6  
I have a Bestco 7 ft flail behind my MX5200 tractor. Going on 4 yrs without a problem. I did bend up the trailing bar backing into a tree stump last yr, I replaced it with a thicker piece of angle iron. Top and tilt are needed for general adjustments to keep the mower properly angled to the terrain. I have mine set up with offset so only one wheel is rolling in the uncut path. This allows me to see and place the mower close to fence lines and the creek without getting my tires so close.
THis was a cheap alternative that has proven good for me mowing about 10 acres of variable terrain.

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 52
   / Best value ~72” flail mower? #7  
A 72-76” flail mower is a big mower.
I see used flails for sale regularly. Some of the old ones, or former public flails appear to be very heavy duty, but also monstrously heavy. Nonetheless, your MX6000 should be able to handle a heavy mower.

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #8  
My winter time hobby is refurbishing implements, using them for a season and then selling them locally.

i have had early Betst , Mott, Alamo, John Deere, and Coroni over the past few years, but the absolute best, and also most expensive, is Maschio, which I now wish I had kept

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #9  
Iv had ironcraft for 3 years with no problems. Resonably priced

/ Best value ~72” flail mower? #10  
What is the best value flail mower in the 72-76” range? It will be pulled by an MX6000.

I have about 2 miles of trails and 8 acres of orchard I want to maintain.

The cost, implement complexity, parts availability, servicing ability to
adjust and or change V belts, location of grease fittings and overall
utility of the flail mower go hand in hand in making a decision for a
flail mower or flail shredder.

Try not make a purchase decision based strictly on the purchase price
as you will be waddling into the weeds and you will make a bad decision
that will haunt you.

I have sent you a PM.