Best rear tire filler for cold weather

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
When I bought my tractor in 2007 (Kubota B3030 HSDCC), the dealer filled the rear tires with beet juice as additional ballast. It was a very cold year and the tires flat spotted and had a frozen spot so it would bump along every tire cycle. I don't remember that being a problem until this year when the problem exists again. It is very, very annoying and can't be doing that tire any good. Our last day when the temperature was above freezing was Thanksgiving day.

Anyway, I am going to do something about the issue, either wheel weights, or a tire liquid that won't freeze at any temperature. It did get down to -35 F one night recently and usually gets down below zero most nights.

Don't let them put Beet juice in your tires for ballast if you live in as climate where it gets below zero.

What do you guys use?

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #2  
Use concentrated windscreen washer fluid. does not freeze and will not rust

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #3  
30% methanol/water concentration. Its not as heavy as beet juice, and a little lighter then straight water, but I had the methanol already on hand and its worked so far so good for this Maine winter.

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #4  
When I bought my tractor in 2007 (Kubota B3030 HSDCC), the dealer filled the rear tires with beet juice as additional ballast. It was a very cold year and the tires flat spotted and had a frozen spot so it would bump along every tire cycle. I don't remember that being a problem until this year when the problem exists again. It is very, very annoying and can't be doing that tire any good. Our last day when the temperature was above freezing was Thanksgiving day.

Anyway, I am going to do something about the issue, either wheel weights, or a tire liquid that won't freeze at any temperature. It did get down to -35 F one night recently and usually gets down below zero most nights.

Don't let them put Beet juice in your tires for ballast if you live in as climate where it gets below zero.

What do you guys use?

Well, Rimgard is rated for -35 degrees. So either it was colder than that or someone watered down your mix. If you knew that it gets colder than that where you live, then I would say that you should have done some research and not let your dealer use what he used. You'll have a hard time getting wheel weights to weigh as much as the liquid. A 45%water 55% anti freeze will get you down to -50.

Good luck. ;)

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #5  
My guess is that they added too much water.

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #6  
My guess is that they added too much water.

I agree with above statement.
I am bet juiced and we have been at -20 to -25 for 2 weeks and my tires ride nice and round.
Also interesting as you can see a frost line on side wall where the fluid level is.

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #7  
For years and years the go to fill here in the south was water and antifreeze...
I would still go that route due the cost.
If you are concerned about the environment just use propylene glycol (PG) antifreeze...
I think that it is marketed under the name "Sierra"...

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #8  
that's my guess.. someone mixed down his beet juice.

persoanlly for the price. PG af mixed to seasonally low temp should be good. heck. if its fine for the engine.. it's fine for the tire. :)

Well, Rimgard is rated for -35 degrees. So either it was colder than that or someone watered down your mix. If you knew that it gets colder than that where you live, then I would say that you should have done some research and not let your dealer use what he used. You'll have a hard time getting wheel weights to weigh as much as the liquid. A 45%water 55% anti freeze will get you down to -50.

Good luck. ;)

/ Best rear tire filler for cold weather #10  
In an ideal world the best material to fill tires with is air. Then hang cast iron weights on both sides of the tire.