Best finish for outdoor furniture?

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I'm in the process of building a table for my Big Green Egg Smoker. I'm using Cedar, and it should look pretty good when I get through, provided I can finish it in a manner that will retain the original colors. I love Tung Oil, and use it for most of the stuff I build. It works well for indoor furniture, but doesn't weather well. Polyurethane finish is good for some things, but I want to finish this table with an oil finish that penetrates and protects and I want to avoid the peeling that you eventually get with Spar Varnish, or any surface coating for that matter. I'm not totally inexperienced with woodworking and finishing, but I haven't done much with outdoor stuff except bird feeders and such.

My research indicates that Tung Oil finish, Teak Oil finish and Danish Oil finish are very similar, and will work well, provided that you don't mind putting on another coat every year. Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks in advance;
Dennis.

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #2  
Maybe Linseed oil?? Just throwing it out there, I have also had some luck with tinted water repellents for wood, like Thompson's water seal.

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #3  
I'm in the process of building a table for my Big Green Egg Smoker. I'm using Cedar, and it should look pretty good when I get through, provided I can finish it in a manner that will retain the original colors. I love Tung Oil, and use it for most of the stuff I build. It works well for indoor furniture, but doesn't weather well. Polyurethane finish is good for some things, but I want to finish this table with an oil finish that penetrates and protects and I want to avoid the peeling that you eventually get with Spar Varnish, or any surface coating for that matter. I'm not totally inexperienced with woodworking and finishing, but I haven't done much with outdoor stuff except bird feeders and such.

My research indicates that Tung Oil finish, Teak Oil finish and Danish Oil finish are very similar, and will work well, provided that you don't mind putting on another coat every year. Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks in advance;
Dennis.

If you figure this out youll become a millionaire. Since they took all the good stuff out of finishes nothing seems to last.

Cedar is a soft wood and i have tried just about everything on my cedar decks over the years without much success. I have tried the MOST expensive stuff out there, and 1 year later i have to do it again.

My suggestion is to make it out of either metal or maybe that fake decking (trex, etc).
I dont think those green eggs get very hot ? doi they?

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture?
Actually, no, they don't get very hot on the outside, but here in Oklahoma we have some pretty hot summers. I'm about resigned to putting a coat of Tung oil finish on every year or so, if that's what it takes. BTW, I love the Egg; cooks up some fine baby backs.

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #5  
I use hot paraffin for a outdoor transparent finish that weathers well and repels water for a long time like 3 or 4 years.

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #6  
You might try Flood's deck and porch stain. We use it on our log home and fence and it works well. Stay away from Thompson's water seal, it does not last. You can find Flood products at Lowes.
Flood Stain | Wood Stains | Flood

You might try Flood's deck and porch stain. We use it on our log home and fence and it works well. Stay away from Thompson's water seal, it does not last. You can find Flood products at Lowes.
Flood Stain | Wood Stains | Flood

That looks like the clear coat might just be the ticket. Have you used the clear?

I use hot paraffin for a outdoor transparent finish that weathers well and repels water for a long time like 3 or 4 years.

I have never used paraffin before. How do you prepare it? I assume you would have to melt it in some turpentine or naptha or some such. Correct?

/ Best finish for outdoor furniture? #9  
Here's a couple more finish ideas. Penofin & Sikkens. I have experience only with Sikkens and it holds up reasonably and looks very good. For an alternative to the cedar - have you considered IPE? Note links below:

Introducing PENOFIN Verde | Penofin Penetrating Oil Finishes and Wood Stain

Products | Sikkens

Everwood Decking Partners, Ltd | Outdoor Deck Material | Build a Deck with IPE | Importers of IPE Wood | IPE Lumber | Iron Wood | Brazilian Hardwood

I've already purchased the Cedar, planed it and have begun gluing up the legs; it was rough cut from the sawmill @ $1.75 per board ft. The Ipe looks promising...but how is it cost wise? I had a little Cedar on hand, so I thought I would go with that. Considering the wheels, SS screws, lag bolts, etc. I probably won't have over $125 in this table when I'm done, Good Lord willing. I like working with Cedar; a bit soft, but the table shouldn't take much abuse, other than being out in the weather, and it will be partly sheltered at that. I did consider Cypress, but couldn't find it locally.

Thanks. I'll check out the finishes you recommended.