Best electric coffee percolator?

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I want to get my wife a coffee percolator for Christmas this year. What's the best one to get?

Requirements: Electric, 12 cup (64-96 oz) minimum

I'm looking at these two right now:

Amazon.com: Presto 2811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker: Electric Coffee Percolators: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach Brands 4614 Coffee Percolator, Stainless Steel, 12-Cup, Pack of 1: Electric Coffee Percolators: Kitchen & Dining

Both have excellent reviews on Amazon, with the Presto with far more + reviews and far less - reviews. However, it comes with a solid top so you can't see the coffee percolating. The Cuisinart (sp) version has terrible reviews.

What do you guys use and what do you recommend?

Thanks,

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #2  
IMHO, if you really like diner style coffee, neither of those will be great - peculators are better than most drip units, mainly because the temp of the water in most drip systems is not very hot. In the past when we drank lots of coffee, we used a Bunn small commercial drip unit, made fabulous coffee, as it was designed to generate very HOT brew water. I'm not a fan of recycling coffee through the grounds, but many folks like the flavor from that method.

Your 'requirements' Electric, 12 cup (64-96 oz) minimum - don't specify percolator, have you ruled a good drip like a Bunn out?

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #3  
I rarely use a percolator anymore, but when I do, I greatly prefer one of my two Farberware "Superfast". I have both the small and large models. Both are many decades old. The price is commensurate with the design and build quality.

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #4  
Percolator=criminal offence to coffee :ill:

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #5  

^^^this

Also, buy the smallest percolator you can find so it doesn't hurt so much when she hits you up-side the head with it Christmas morning.

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #6  

Why would you say that? Burnt coffee and the ability to get solids in your cup build character!

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #7  
Listening to a percolator make coffee is much better than listening to the hisses and groans of a drip coffee maker. I only use a camp stove percolator when camping these days, but boy does that coffee taste great! Thick black coffee is hard to beat.

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #9  
Some research has linked drinking unfiltered coffee to an increase in LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels.

/ Best electric coffee percolator? #10  
What do you guys use and what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Since The cholesterol-raising compounds of coffee are removed by a plain paper filter. I use this:
Amazon.com: Keurig K15 Single Serve Compact K-Cup Pod Coffee Maker, Chili Red: Kitchen & Dining
With this:
Amazon.com: Perfect Pod EZ-Cup Refillable Capsule, Keurig 1. compatible: Disposable Coffee Filters: Kitchen & Dining
and this:
Amazon.com: Perfect Pod EZ-Cup Paper Filters (5 Filters): K Cups Filters Paper: Kitchen & Dining

I know it does not meet your gallon of coffee requirement but each cup is fresh and can be any strength depending how much coffee you put in the pod.

Is this just for her or for her group?