Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #121  
I like my Granberg sharpener. My Dad bought it in the 70s (I was a teenager then). It isn't real fast, bit it isn't spendy.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #122  
Looking to sharpen 5-6 chains at a time off the saw.

What would you recommend?
With one hand I use a dremel tool with diamond cylinders sized for the chain, i.e., a 3/16" diamond cylinder for a 3/16" chain. In my other hand I use a spray bottle to keep the diamond tool wet which will significantly prolong its life. With a little practice you should be able to sharpen a dull 20" chain and in 10 minutes (I clamp the bar in a vise to hold is steady). Every year I sharpen about a dozen chains and have been doing it this way for at least 10 years. I would never consider using a file again.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #123  

I bought a tool from Harbor Freight that is not bad...comes with a lot of plastic, but if you sharpen off the saw and take your time it does great. about as cheap as you can get off

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #124  
Never mastered the manual file or the time it took to file sharpen a 20" chain or the whole dremel stone or diamond deal.. They were time consuming and did a poor job while wearing out in no time flat and I tried them all.. I enjoy an electric bench top that sharpens quick and easy and none of the hand file stuff that I hate. Find what works for you and go for it. It takes a few stabs to find what you like. Someone above said they had a guy that sharpens good for $5.00 That is the guy I want to meet. Around here it's 10-12 bucks a pop. No way..

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #125  

Since you're trying to do a batch of chains and all off the saw, that means you'll probably want to be using a grinder/sharpener. Quick. Easy. Excellent sharpness and lets you correct all sorts of problems caused by incorrect sharpening on the saw or more extreme tooth damage from hitting something "not wood" in your log. You can go really inexpensive like HF item 63803, "Chain Saw Sharpener" or the more expensive Oregon "Professional Compact Bench Grinder". I got the HF because I wasn't sure I'd use it all that much and didn't want to spend a lot of money for a paperweight. Turns out it does a really great job and is easy to use - and I end up using it a lot (friends who just cut firewood found out I had it...)

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #126  
I sharpen with an Oregon grinder; it does a great job; I kicked my POS HF grinder under my bench long ago! If needed I'd buy the Oregon grinder again.

Did I mention that the HF grinder is a POS?

DSR
It's certainly NOT an Oregon, with so much plastic as to make it seem like a toy. But the one I have from HF (couple years old) is solid, easy to set up and use, and produces great results. One man's POS is another man's inexpensive little gem/

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #127  
It's certainly NOT an Oregon, with so much plastic as to make it seem like a toy. But the one I have from HF (couple years old) is solid, easy to set up and use, and produces great results. One man's POS is another man's inexpensive little gem/
Both my Oregon and the POS HF sharpeners are older sharpeners, and the POS HF is still under the bench, where it belongs! lol

SR

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300
Last edited:
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #129  
I modified the muffler and adjusted the carb on my Stihl. It's loud now too. I wear ear plugs when chainsawing.
My hearing is bad and I'm trying not to make it any worse. I have a stock muffler yet still use ear plugs... I won't even start the saw without them. If I'm going to be running it all day I also wear muffs, otherwise I will still hear the saw running when I go to bed.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #130  
I’d like the see all of these hand file users line up their hand filed saws against the same saw with a new factory chain. I’m sure someone is going to say they they can sharpen not only that good but better. Well some people can bench 500 pounds but the average Joe can’t. I’ve watched a lot of people chainsaw and the vast majority of the hand filers are running dull saws. I would bet money that the number of users that could hand file a saw and make it cut good without a guide is in the single digit percentage.
That's why I use a guide.