Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses?

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #11  
There are academic (religious) arguments over soldering vs crimping as bearthebruce noted.
The last thing I want is to start a new round of those.. I simply point out there are two methods.. I am not advocating either for I have used both. As an EE I understand the reasons to use both. Tomato tomaato.. you choose...

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #12  
   / Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #13  
When we did our police car outfitting, strip, crimp/solder inline connectors and heat shrink was required. Lots were done, none came back with problems.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #14  
I am an old school solder and heat shrink type. But I do have some nice crimpers too for spade or other more removable connections. I also like the connectors like they use in automotive (SAE 2 wire) I have these so I can plug/unplug/adapt items like phone charger, led lights etc. to the ROPs wiring.
agree with this poster. solder and shrink tube. i use the shrink tube with sealant built in. ive been using the same thing in all my electronic work for many years, and never had any issues.

i reciently replaced the 7 connector towing harness on both my work rigs cause the jerks at the auto repair shops that installed the units originally used those stupid spade and crimp connectors. they should be beaten . those things suck.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #15  
I was taught a slight modification to this for mil-spec splices:

At step 3, strip the inch, then divide into 2 pieces, poke one half through the hole and wrap the wire to the left of the hole. Take the other half over the wire, wrap ccw to the right of the whole.

This was supposed to make a very strong mechanical connection that is not depending on the solder for strength.

Mind I must admit, I rarely take the time to do all this.

Normally I would just wrap one wire around the other.
-------
Just a note, in automotive apps, they do not recommend soldering. The vibration of the machine can fatigue the wire just at the start of the place where the soldering is done. You have soft wire coming to a very hard spot. As the wire wiggles, that spot fatigues. Butt splices are preferred. Heat shrink butt splices are more preferred:200pcs Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Terminals, Eventronic Insulated Waterproof Marine Automotive Copper Wire Electrical Kits (3 Colors 3 Sizes): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
over the years i have seen MANY crimped connectors fail on equipment i work on, but i cant recall a single soldered connector fail. the heat shrink makes such a tight connection, there is NO vibration in the wire. its stiff as a board. i lost count years ago on the number of wires i have repaired due to the wire falling out of the crimp connector.

mind you i carry a huge assortment of crimp connectors and a Kline ratcheting compression tool on my service truck. i never know if i will have power to run my solder gun on the remote sites i work at.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #16  
I have used these and I know many auto mechanics and electricians who swear this are the absolute best wire connectors ever invented. Used with dielectric grease on the wires, these will never loosen and never corrode. Military has now gone to these type connections. Recommend all tractor owners to own a small kit of these connectors.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #17  
You mean like these? I saw this on one of Andrew Camarata's videos. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RMRCC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81xoZyI8d2L._SL1500_.jpg
This is what I now use. What an amazing invention. They have a seal, grease and solder.

324 JD 2210 Curtis Cab Dash Heat Shrink.png

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #18  
I have one as well and if you follow the harness, you'll find a Molex plug to add lights. I never use those squeeze to apply connectors for anything. Very poor for accessing any power. They corrode after time and turn to crap.

If you really want to cut into the harness, use quality Western Union moisture resistant splices and heat shrink tubing with di-electric grease inside.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #19  
Digikey and / or Dell Electronics are your friends for all types of connectors, even the crappy ones.

/ Best and favorite way to splice into OEM wiring harnesses? #20  
1 correct way without damaging the wire.

strip about 1/2" of the factory wire's insulation off leaving a bare wire exposed without damaging the wire.

take a pin and separate the open strand wire you just striped in half leaving a gap.

strip an inch of insulation off the end of the auxiliary wire. poke it through the gap you made and tightly wrap it around the factory wire.

solder the splice, and wrap it with electrical tape.

you now have a splice that created no damage to the factory wiring.

this is how we were taught In GM training school.

hope i used my best english.
No wonder my wife's Suburban has continual electrical issues....lol