Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Who makes the best ones if you are actually using using them like impacts.

Have tried many and broke many. Dewalt, kobalt, ryobi, masterforce, etc all impact grade.

So, does anyone make an indestructible set?

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #2  
Next stop would be Snap-On.
If your breaking that many you may need to go to a larger size impact. Small impacts are made for screws and small lag bolts.
My tool drive 3/8" x 3" lags very easy and have never had a breakage.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters.
Next stop would be Snap-On.
If your breaking that many you may need to go to a larger size impact. Small impacts are made for screws and small lag bolts.
My tool drive 3/8" x 3" lags very easy and have never had a breakage.

I have larger impacts. Theres just the convenience of the 1/4" drives with the socket adapters.

Dont recall what the last brand was I bought, but said not to use with impacts over 210ft-lbs. Mine is the milwaukee fuel brushless model with 1600in-lbs, which is only 133 ft-lbs.

If those impact hex-socket adapters arent made for what these tools can deliver, why do they make them? While the milwaukee is pretty powerful, it isnt the most powerful one on the market.

Just wanting to see if others have found some that have held up.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #4  
I think tools are going back to the practice of planned obsolescence to get people to keep replacing them. Companies don't make much money on tools that last.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #5  
I would have never thought 1/4" drive would be suitable for impact at all.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #6  
I would have never thought 1/4" drive would be suitable for impact at all.

I use my dewalt hex-drive impact driver all the time with a socket adapter. It's really really handy. I think most cordless companies make a tool just like the impact driver but with a 3/8 square drive instead of the hex drive. If you're breaking the adapters all the time LD1, maybe that's the next step. They would certainly make for a more compact tool which would fit in tighter spots. Personally, I've had good service from the black and decker hex to 3/8 adapters I've used. I chose them because they are the shortest length adapter I could find. I don't understand why most of these adapters have an extra inch between the part that goes into the driver and the part that goes into the socket. I want the socket as close to the tool as possible to make it fit more places.

LD1, are you using a hex to 1/4" or hex to 3/8"? I bought a set of 3/8 impacts in metric and sae short and deep from northern tool for about $20/ set. The SAE ones live in my impact driver bag and get used almost daily on the farm (during the summer at least). Where does your adapter break?

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #7  
What are you often breaking them doing? :D

After a while when they are stressed enough times I think the metal just fatigues and breaks

And its the nature of the design at they will twist especially if using larger drive sockets and full power impacting. I also think tool power increases are quickly outpacing the available accessories. :eek:

Eventually there has to be power limitation in 1/4 hex drivers . And an increase up to larger shanks.

I have the two smaller 1/4" and 3/8" Milwaukee adapters they are decent but very short in length. I just bought some longer Titan brand thru Amazon. They seem to have some of the better reviews and they lock on my impact sockets very well.

There are also 3 other socket adapters I have for backups still around that came in 6 piece set along with 3 various length screwdriver tip holders from TSC. I tossed out the screwdriver tips they all wobbled so bad what junk.

My big beef the lack of a snug fit with most combinations of adapters and socket they lock together so loose and wobble like crazy but I don't really think that it matters much once its placed over hex nut or bolt head.

So I also opted for some one piece nut drivers to try from Amazon too. A full set both standard and metric up to 14mm and 9 1/6" Shallow sockets so they are limited use mostly bolt heads. Destroyed the magnetic inserts immediately! :laughing: There are hollow shaft options out there too

I haven't snapped anything of mine yet but I don't really expect them to perform far above what I consider their limits either.
And for removing tightened fasteners on mechanical work or driving in big lags IMO its almost better to use square anvil drive impact wrenches.

Just seems that doing something like trying to loosen lug nuts etc is a lot to ask from a 1/4 in shank drive adapter. Even if the tool is powerful enough to do the job I would think you are simply going to snap the smaller shanked adapters more often.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #8  
Well, I've never used my 1/4" system with my impact driver. I have 1/2" sockets that connect directly to the impact driver or use 1/2" extensions for difficult locations. I've found that Snap-On, Mac or ProTo are about the toughest around.

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters.
Broke several 3/8 adapters and one 1/2 adapter.

Just use it for odd things. Zipping in oil pan bolts, tightening garage door hardware, lug nuts once they are broke loose, and putting them back on snug enough to lower the car and use the torque wrench, snugging hilti bolts, etc.

I broke the 1/2 adapter zipping in flywheel bolts.

I don't use it to hammer on things like my air impact. Rather this just takes the place of my fingers or a ratchet to snug things up or zip them out once loose. I rarley let it hammer for more than a few beats

/ Best 1/4" hex to socket adapters. #10  
I had the same problem, went to a beefier setup. Bosch 3/8" impact wrench 18v, with Ingersoll Rand thin wall 3/8" impact sockets. Very handy for daily use. Not bulky at all, fits into just about anywhere. I have a Makita 18v impact driver that I use for screws.

Attachments

• impact.jpg
    impact.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 1,057