Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running.

/ Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running. #1  

Hyakkimaru16

Tractor
Multiple small Kubota diesel engine machines
I was kindly gifted a Belarus 250as that has been sitting for 15 years. So after spending a day rebuilding the starter that would not kick out and engage the flywheel, messing with wiring from messed up plug connectors that were dry rotted, finally got it cranked and no matter what you do with the clutch it will not shift into gear. It just grinds. I adjusted the clutch pedal until there was almost no slop in the pedal itself. It springs all the way back up but when you push it down it does nothing. I actually cranked the tractor in gear and pushed the clutch in and nothing happened it just kept driving. If you crank it and then try to put it in a gear it just grinds. You can only put one of the two levers in gear. If you put it in forward, you won't be able to select a gear, if you select a gear you won't be able to put it in forward or reverse. He said it drove and parked where he left it no problem and the reason he parked it was the hydraulic pump was bad. Well, before I mess with the hydraulic pump I want to be able to stop and go. Also the alternator was seized up upon cranking and burnt the belt up Rather quickly. So I have to either rebuild the alternator or try to find a replacement because I'm currently running with no fan belt. I'm not running it but for a couple minutes at a time while I'm messing with the clutch. What should I try? Thanks!

/ Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running. #2  
Best guess would be to plan on splitting the tractor for a clutch repair. After sitting all that time It's probably stuck too tight to break it loose by the usual techniques. If there is an access from top, side or bottom that allows you to see a portion of the clutch disc itself between the flywheel and pressure plate, then you MIGHT have a shot at breaking it loose with some sharp tools. If not you will most likely have to tear into it.

/ Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running.
Best guess would be to plan on splitting the tractor for a clutch repair. After sitting all that time It's probably stuck too tight to break it loose by the usual techniques. If there is an access from top, side or bottom that allows you to see a portion of the clutch disc itself between the flywheel and pressure plate, then you MIGHT have a shot at breaking it loose with some sharp tools. If not you will most likely have to tear into it.

I did find an access plate about 5 minutes after I posted this and was able to open a tiny cover on the side of the transmission and it is about how I expected it to look. Considering the starter was so rusted that the gear couldn't kick out, I expected everything to look as Rusty and pitted as the starter did. And that's exactly how it looks. It looks pretty bad. I did get the throwout bearing and forks moving but once the forks move off of the pressure plate the pressure plate does not release the clutch. The clutch is likely welded itself to the flywheel. Here's a quick pic. Is there a service manual available for this tractor? I'm a diesel pickup mechanic but I've never messed with a tractor before. This is my first tractor so I would not know where to start in splitting the transmission from the motor. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230912_185525.jpg
    20230912_185525.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
   / Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running. #4  
That tractor was submerged in water before or while parked,split it and replace everything.

That tractor was submerged in water before or while parked,split it and replace everything.
Okay, sounds like a great plan. Again though, I have never touched a tractor in my life and this is the first one I've ever been this close to. I work on pickup trucks. I do not know where to start on this. Is there a manual or something? Also, are parts even available for this thing?

Here is a little video showing off the clutch parts a little more.

/ Belarus 250AS won't shift into gear when running. #7  
I would suggest doing an internet search for parts and service manual. Belarus is Russian or Ukranian assembled so not sure how available service manuals or parts are for that model.