Belarus 250AS - does not move, PTO does not spin

/ Belarus 250AS - does not move, PTO does not spin #1  

loscoro

Tractor
Belarus 250as
I have a 250AS. Using for about 10 years now. Very dependable small tractor for mowing, scraping, plowing. Tractor sat for a few months. Started fine. Had a bushhog attached. PTO spinning. Have always had to kind of slam the tractor in gear and get a bit of a kick. Had tractor in reverse and got the kick. Only this time tractor stopped moving and PTO stopped spinning. I'm aware of the issue these tractors have with getting stuck out of gear and one has to go through a pattern with the shifter to get movement back. This is definitely not that issue. Where it stands now:

Tractor shifts into gear using the clutch and stick stays in gear. All feels normal, but tractor does not move. PTO does not spin at all.
I adjusted the clutch. Problem persists.

When tractor is out of gear and PTO is disengaged, I can easily turn the PTO shaft with my hand. It spins freely.
When tractor is IN GEAR and PTO is engaged, I cannot turn the PTO shaft with my hand.
When tractor is OUT OF GEAR and PTO is engaged, I can turn the PTO shaft with my hand with some effort. There is some resistance, but I can spin it.

Tractor starts and runs fine. Gears shift like they always have. Tractor just does not move. It's like the power is not getting where it needs to go. Trying to get an idea what the problem could be and if it's worth trying to fix. There was a dealer near me who retired. Was willing to pay him about what I paid for the tractor to fix it but he seemed intent on staying retired.

/ Belarus 250AS - does not move, PTO does not spin #2  
You say you adjusted the clutch. Does that mean you believe it's actually engaging? It sure sounds like the clutch isn't engaging at all. If it were me, I'd try to find a way to test clutch engagement. Perhaps get the rear wheels up in the air, put the tractor in gear and see if you can turn a wheel by hand. If not, push the clutch in and try again to turn the wheel. If it isn't the clutch, then it may be a broken transmission input shaft. As I know nothing at all about Belarus tractors, I'm just spitballing based on generalities.

/ Belarus 250AS - does not move, PTO does not spin
You say you adjusted the clutch. Does that mean you believe it's actually engaging? It sure sounds like the clutch isn't engaging at all. If it were me, I'd try to find a way to test clutch engagement. Perhaps get the rear wheels up in the air, put the tractor in gear and see if you can turn a wheel by hand. If not, push the clutch in and try again to turn the wheel. If it isn't the clutch, then it may be a broken transmission input shaft. As I know nothing at all about Belarus tractors, I'm just spitballing based on generalities.

Thank you. So, there are 3 "fingers" one can adjust by turning some screws. My retired dealer had suggested I do that, because that adjustment can be made without splitting the tractor. There's a little access plate. So that's all the adjustment I've done. Clutch seems to be working, as I can't put the tractor in gear or out of gear without pushing in the clutch. Broken input shaft was suggested to me by a friend who builds cars from kits. Apparently there is a plate I can remove on the Belarus to see if something is spinning (or not spinning) that may confirm that diagnosis. That's on my "to do" list when I have time. Thanks again.

/ Belarus 250AS - does not move, PTO does not spin #4  
Good luck! I sure hope it's something simpler and less expensive than a broken input shaft.