Been on generator for a day !!

/ Been on generator for a day !! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
We worried and worried about spending the money for a whole house generator last year. And went ahead and had it installed. My thinking was that my wife could not handle the portable ones we have depended on since 2009. ANOTHER storm line came thru yesterday and there are trees down everywhere in the Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky. Our 22-kw generator started around 11AM yesterday and is still chugging away at 7:30AM as I type.

It is nice, very nice.

RSKY

/ Been on generator for a day !! #2  
We worried and worried about spending the money for a whole house generator last year. And went ahead and had it installed. My thinking was that my wife could not handle the portable ones we have depended on since 2009. ANOTHER storm line came thru yesterday and there are trees down everywhere in the Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky. Our 22-kw generator started around 11AM yesterday and is still chugging away at 7:30AM as I type.

It is nice, very nice.

RSKY

We too, went the 22kw route. No regrets! We just had the 1 year service with 80 hours of runtime. Bring it on!

/ Been on generator for a day !! #3  
Hard to beat. We went 6 straight days on our diesel powered Generac, They are a good investment. 22KW isn't nearly enough for our needs.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #4  
There are so many things to think & share about running generators; we have a newer 13K with electric start.

Water-well, freezers, fridge, lights, hot water, charging ham radio batts....oh, so nice.

When ours is running; my recurring thought is: just how easy, quiet, efficient, and economical commercial power is....😂

/ Been on generator for a day !! #5  
You can't beat a good generator; for something you don't use 90% of the time, when needed, they're an absolute blessing.

As I sit here typing our lights have been flickering; no wind, just heavy snow on the wires and trees.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #6  
We don't generally lose power. If we do I think the longest it was out was for around 8 hours.

We got a 12k gasser that I plug into the house for whole house power.

Last year it wasn't used for an actual outage. I've ran the house just to run the generator though

/ Been on generator for a day !! #7  
There are so many things to think & share about running generators; we have a newer 13K with electric start.

Water-well, freezers, fridge, lights, hot water, charging ham radio batts....oh, so nice.

When ours is running; my recurring thought is: just how easy, quiet, efficient, and economical commercial power is....😂
Certainly is. I went through well over 100 gallons of diesel in 6 days @around $3.35 a gallon. Utility power is much cheaper.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #8  
We just got power after being out for a week. The roads were blocked for much of that and no propane trucks could get in though there were ways to get in and out with smaller vehicles. Some of my neighbors with whole house generators ran out of propane and left to stay in town.

Some other neighbors with fancy solar and battery systems also ran out of power and their batteries shut down. Not much solar gets generated when the panels are covered by snow or it's overcast. The experienced mountain people who put in those systems make them so the batteries can be charged by a generator. That's actually ideal as they only need a few hours of generator a day to recharge the batteries. The generator's running at its most efficient full output rather than loafing most of the time.

My old tech gas generator did ok but I had to find a way into town every few days for more gas.

Earlier this year we were out for 12 days.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #9  
We just got power after being out for a week. The roads were blocked for much of that and no propane trucks could get in though there were ways to get in and out with smaller vehicles. Some of my neighbors with whole house generators ran out of propane and left to stay in town.

Some other neighbors with fancy solar and battery systems also ran out of power and their batteries shut down. Not much solar gets generated when the panels are covered by snow or it's overcast. The experienced mountain people who put in those systems make them so the batteries can be charged by a generator. That's actually ideal as they only need a few hours of generator a day to recharge the batteries. The generator's running at its most efficient full output rather than loafing most of the time.

My old tech gas generator did ok but I had to find a way into town every few days for more gas.

Earlier this year we were out for 12 days.

Now that's smart.

/ Been on generator for a day !!
Power came on at 3:45PM. So it ran from 11:15AM Friday until 3:45PM Saturday. That is 28-1/2 hours if I am correct. No inconvenience to us at all. Well except for buying the thing and paying for the natural gas. Gonna be interesting to see how much more our bill will be this month. Also with the 22kw we ran the stove and clothes dryer at the same time.

RSKY