Beavers in Pond...

/ Beavers in Pond... #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I have two beavers in my pond that have made a nest under a wooden deck over the edge of the pond with some small branches they seem to have found in and around the pond. So far they have not cause any issues that really bother me BUT I have the following concerns questions:

1. I have red maples that line my driveway about 30 feet from the pond. Those trees are rather mature - about 12-18 inch wide trunks. I would not want the beavers to damage them...?
2. I would not want them to plug up the spring flow coming into the pond.

As I mentioned, they have not cause any of these issues or other issues (yet)...should I be concerned? Should I leave them be or get rid of them?

Appreciate any advise...

/ Beavers in Pond... #2  
I would get rid of them. They are a rodent and reproduce just like most other rodents, only a lot bigger. They'll go after the easy twigs and sticks until those are gone then go after larger and larger trees. As far as flow they likely wont stop it coming in because the pond is already there, they will start plugging any outflow. They are stimulated by the sound of running water so if you decide you want to keep them you can run a siphon or something similar to drain the pond as needed so there isn't sound to stimulate them to build a damn.

Good luck.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Beavers in Pond...
oh good point I didn't think about the "overflow" I have an overflow pipe & Grate system that runs into a large pipe underground into the nearby stream. it would be a big problem if they stop that up

/ Beavers in Pond... #4  
I have a ten acre lake on my property. There is a large beaver lodge down at the far end where the water is shallower and the cattails begin. As far as suitable trees for the beavers - non-existent. I did have a very large weeping willow that they girthed and killed.

In my case - the beavers eat the root balls from cattails they pull up. That's just fine - I've got five acres of open water - five acres of shallow water with cattails. The open water part of the lake is 80 feet deep.

I seriously doubt the beavers will block the incoming water. More likely - they may dam the outflow to increase the overall size & depth of the pond. The beavers here have constructed a low dam at the outlet of my lake. It helps control the year round water level. I find the beavers to be very beneficial in my case.

A picture off my front porch. The beaver lodge is way down there where you can see the start of the cattails. It's the tiny black dot in the center of the cattails.

IMG_0002.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Beavers in Pond... #5  
Absolutely get rid of them. I had beavers cut down a couple of smaller poplars that fell on my car hauler trailer and dented the fenders. Then, they girded several big poplars, but not enough to take them down. Fortunately I discovered them before they could finish the job, and surrounded the first couple of feet of each tree with roofing tin valley. If they had finished the job, several large poplars would’ve smashed down onto my boat house.

/ Beavers in Pond...
Beautiful land! thanks for the post.

/ Beavers in Pond... #7  
Thanks for your comment. The county assessors seem to like it also.

Its 80 acres and part of an original homestead. Been in my family for 80+ years.

My father purchased it from the original homesteader in 1939.

/ Beavers in Pond... #8  
I think you can see by the comments - you must assess your situation and make your own determination. For sure - the beavers will probably go for most any non-evergreen type tree. They will use all their skills to block any type of outlet structure.

In my case - I'm just very fortunate. 100% of all the trees on my property are evergreen - except the one weeping willow. Their dam has been a great benefit and has caused no damage or flooding.

They can be VERY persistent. There is NO WAY to control them. They are either beneficial or can cause serious damage. I enjoy watching them as they putt around the lake on their daily outings.

As far as I can tell - this beaver family move onto the lake some twenty years ago.

/ Beavers in Pond... #9  
As stated;armor up the trees you want to save or get rid of them.