Beaver Deciever

/ Beaver Deciever #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
These have been discussed before, so I thought I"d post a couple of pics of one in action. They're on a concrete culvert on an old RR bed in the central Maine township of Lakeview Plantation.
I don't know the exact details but judging from what I saw they were placed to keep a problem area from destroying the road bed. 5984A2D0-DCCA-4909-871E-123D0CC57DA9.jpeg8B7E0565-D1E1-417D-A052-863591E305C0.jpeg

/ Beaver Deciever #2  
Not bad idea,wonder happens if heavy rain flash flooding.

/ Beaver Deciever #3  
We did this years ago but added 2 more 'T's' at the ends.
Theory is beavers detect the leak by detecting the currents so the less eddys the better.
I saw similar installations using simple stove pipe but it rusts out quite rapidly.
Our best dam deterrent was using galvanized an 8 inch culvert that the city donated.

As to major flash flooding, the water simply spills over the top of the dam.

/ Beaver Deciever #4  
Pictures from 16 years ago. Beavers built a dam on the pond spillway:

PB241333.JPG

I put the 12-in Corrugated Culvert over the dam and staked the other ends down under water:

PB241334.JPG

As the water level would rise it would flow through the pipes:

PB261345.JPG

The beavers packed sticks around the pipes at their dam, but no where else. The pipes would siphon the pond down until air entered the pipe.

PB261349.JPG

/ Beaver Deciever #5  
The family of beavers on my lake have built a low dam at the outlet. Looks just like the pics Xfaxman has posted. There are no siphon pipes on the dam. There is an overflow bypass just like on the very bottom pic. Water gets high - flows thru the bypass until it's lowered.

/ Beaver Deciever #6  
I have a beaver excluder over the pond overflow. The stinkers built a ten foot seamount from the bottom of the pond to the inlet area. The 6x6 mesh is to keep them away from the inlet. So far over the last three months, it's done the job.

IMG_0585.JPG

/ Beaver Deciever #7  
Pictures from 16 years ago. Beavers built a dam on the pond spillway:

View attachment 659518

I put the 12-in Corrugated Culvert over the dam and staked the other ends down under water:

View attachment 659521

As the water level would rise it would flow through the pipes:

View attachment 659522

The beavers packed sticks around the pipes at their dam, but no where else. The pipes would siphon the pond down until air entered the pipe.

View attachment 659523

Great pics!

/ Beaver Deciever #9  
Here in East Texas, we have a huge population of beavers. They don't dam up the creeks or rivers very often, but they do dig their homes into the banks of the creeks. They also did their homes into dams on ponds, and that's one of the biggest causes of dam failures around here. My dam is 900 feet long and I'm constantly having to deal with beavers. My long term solution is to build a fence that will keep them out, but I'm still clearing trees, and that could take awhile longer. I shoot them when I see the, but it's usually only a couple of them a year. Friends have been shooting the wild hogs on my place at night time using thermals and getting a lot of them. They also shoot the beavers in the pond, and it's proven to be very effective. They are out all night long and they show up on the thermals for an easy target.

/ Beaver Deciever #10  
The beavers around here are really messing up water flows with their dams.