Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Both of these chippers look like good values and I am sure no one has compared the two, but does anyone have any thoughts about which I should buy (with the hydraulic feed).

Yes, I know about the Jimna but I not interested in it because I don't want to have to partially rebuild the machine before I use it.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #2  
There are a number of posts on here about both of these chippers. Both look to be very good machines. The Bearcat includes a separate shredder, I think. If so, a separate shredder can be a real timer saver if you have a lot of brush. I have a Bush Hog CS100-P (rebadged Goossen), which has the separate shredder. It'll take up to 1.25" stuff. Hence, a huge amount of the brush and cuttings goes quickly in the big shredder hopper. The shredder is more of a "chuck and duck" operation, as it very rapidly pulls the material out of your hands. It's many times faster than the chipper chute. But, if you really only have cut trees and bigger limbs, with few cuttings or brush, the Wallenstein with power feed might suit you best.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62
Gittyup said:
There are a number of posts on here about both of these chippers. Both look to be very good machines. The Bearcat includes a separate shredder, I think. If so, a separate shredder can be a real timer saver if you have a lot of brush. I have a Bush Hog CS100-P (rebadged Goossen), which has the separate shredder. It'll take up to 1.25" stuff. Hence, a huge amount of the brush and cuttings goes quickly in the big shredder hopper. The shredder is more of a "chuck and duck" operation, as it very rapidly pulls the material out of your hands. It's many times faster than the chipper chute. But, if you really only have cut trees and bigger limbs, with few cuttings or brush, the Wallenstein with power feed might suit you best.

I don't have any brush. Except for trees, and what are called "false ferns" which are soft and grow to a foot in height, we don't have anything that grows more than a few inches off the ground. So maybe the Bearcat would be buying something I don't need. I guess I don't know what a shredder looks like.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #4  
Do a search for shredders on this forum and you will see photos of most popular brands. The ones with shredders have two inputs. One is the chipper shoot, used for limbs. The other is usually on top and is a much wider hopper where you just drop stuff in. The Hopper is usually covered with rubber flaps to protect against throw-back. Most shredders are comprised of a spinning cage of free spinning knives. The spinning cage will grab the material very quickly and pull it in, the knives then shred it up. You can get them with or without blowers. The blower add a lot of cost, but sure is convenient for putting the chips where you want them (like in a truck or trailer bed). Else, you have to continually shovel them away from the chipper/shredder.

I use the shredder more than the chipper. But, it really depends on your intended use. If clearing mostly real trees (> 4" diameter), then a chipper might be best. Just pitch the whole limb in, branches attached. If clearing mostly brush or a lot of small stuff, then a shredder is quicker.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #5  
I believe you are comparing apples to oranges here. The bearcat model mentioned is a manual feed 5" with a shredder(73554).
The bx62 with hydraulic feed is twice the chipper as the one with a shredder.
A bearcat #74554 is a 5" hydraulic feed unit. still 1" smaller capacity. After reading your posts, I would buy the BX62.
Whichever you choose let us know what you think.
Dave

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #6  
smfcpacfp said:
Both of these chippers look like good values and I am sure no one has compared the two, but does anyone have any thoughts about which I should buy (with the hydraulic feed).

Yes, I know about the Jimna but I not interested in it because I don't want to have to partially rebuild the machine before I use it.

I have the bercat 73554 and love it. It is not hydraulic feed, but it is very good. I can stick a long limb in it and it just sucks it in. You know the blades are getting dull when it doesn't pull them in.

You will need to look at the HP required for a big ole chipper - it can be a load on a tractor (especially the hydraulic part).

D.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #8  
smfcpacfp said:
I actually meant to say that I wasn't going to get the hydraulic feed on the chipper.

I bought the 73554 and love it. It is very well built and serves my purpose well. I posted some pics in another thread of it and my JD 4720. How many hp is your Kubota?

D.

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62
ddivinia said:
I bought the 73554 and love it. It is very well built and serves my purpose well. I posted some pics in another thread of it and my JD 4720. How many hp is your Kubota?

D.

23 HP at the PTO

/ Bearcat 73554 Vs Walenstein BX62 #10  
I don't think anyone has been disappointed with either machine (do a search), but they are different beasts. If you want the shredder, get the bearcat, otherwise save some $$ and go for the wallenstein or check out some of bearcat's chipper only products.

I have the bearcat & use the shredder often. It is the best PTO chipper shredder on the market.

If I didn't shred, I'd have probably gone with the Wallenstein w/ hydraulic feed (less $$ than a similar bearcat). If you have lots of chipping to do, the feed is significantly faster to use. If it is occasional, then manual is OK.