Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete?

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I want to build a bear proof bird feeder. We have a lot of black bears in the woods behind our property. I want a feeder tough enough that it can't be bent by a bear or knocked over or pulled out of the ground. I bought a 8' 2.5" threaded steel pipe, a 8' 2" threaded steel pipe and a connector joint that goes from 2.5" to 2". I will place a T at the top and 2' arms on either side of the pipe to hang the feeders from. I will refill the feeder by using a long pole with a hook to get the feeders down. I plan to dig down 3-4 feet and put in a 12" sonotube, put the 2.5" pipe in the center and fill it up with concrete.

I have this week off of work, and finally have time to do it. But is it too cold to do the concrete? Tonight it is going down to 29, tomorrow is 48/36, Tuesday is 53/35, Wednesday is 47/28, Thursday is 40/25, Friday is 42/24. No rain in forecast until Saturday. We have had 1 night at 32 so far, so the ground is nowhere near frozen. It was 55 yesterday, 42 today.

Weather.jpg

If I dig the hole tomorrow and do the concrete tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, will it cure properly in this cool / cold weather? I'm thinking I may be OK since it is underground and the ground is warmer than the low temp each night. Looking for someone with concrete experience who can advise. Thanks!

03260046.JPG

03260049.JPG

03260050.JPG

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #2  
Cover it with Styrofoam to help keep the heat in. It will take longer to cure, but for your purposes it should be fine.
I once poured a slab in November, and finished the last pour just as the snowflakes started falling. The next morning it was covered with about 8" of snow which seemed to insulate it as after a couple of weeks it was hard. I started keeping it plowed off and parked on it all winter.
The following spring when things thawed out so did my slab, and that's when it finished curing.
Bears can be pretty tenacious in the spring time though, when they haven't eaten in 5 months. You might consider adding an electric fence to your plans.

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #3  
Any cover will work to keep enough heat in. You don't need insulation at "near freezing" temps.

A tarp, plastic film, straw, black roofing paper etc. just cover the exposed surface. The exothermic process will supply it's own (sufficient) heat.

Stand water on top, if that ices solid , I was wrong...;-)

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #5  
Consider running cable inside the pipe for raising/lowering the feeders.

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #6  
I poured cement for a steel pole to support a satellite dish this time of year. Easy peasy - covered concrete with straw - about a foot deep and out about a foot beyond the pour onto the solid ground. It got down as low as 20F - the straw kept the concrete from freezing. Still out there in the side yard - a big 'ol bird house up on the pole now - old "C" band dish is long gone.

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #7  
That's good size bear in your pics,if I ..I would dig down least 4+ feet,come spring time frost coming out bear rocking on the feeder might give the feeder different look.
Also grease/anti size each thread in case you need to take a part.

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #8  
there are accelerators that you can add to the concrete mix to speed up the curing process.......I'm not crazy about using them as it will weaken the concrete a bit but in your case it's just a pole sitting in the ground.......personally I think you're fighting a losing battle as once a bear knows there is a source of food it will find a way to get it.....I think all your going to do is make it mad and you sure don't want a mad bear hanging around your place.......lol......we have the same problems with bears and what works is I wait for the hard freeze to set in usually by mid-december before I put out the bird feeders as by then the bears are hibernating.....I bring the feeders inside each night......I'll stop putting them out when it starts to warm up around end of march to mi-april as the bears will start to be moving around by then......a side benefit to doing this Is each morning I have a whole assortment of birds squawking and chirping waiting for me........lol......Jack

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete?
So I dug the hole down to 40", put in the sonotube and poured 300 lbs of concrete. I have the first piece of the bird feeder pole in the concrete being supported by 2x2's to keep it straight up. I checked my first pipe, and I have a 10 footer, not an 8 footer, so the feeders will be 2 feet higher than I initially reported. The bottom of the feeder will be at least 10 feet off the ground.

_DSC0539.JPG

Its going to be sunny and 55 tomorrow and sunny and 49 on Wednesday and won't go below freezing until Thursday night. So hopefully the concrete will set during the next 3 days.

The bird feeder is inside a 4' high fence, and we won't put out any feeders until the winter hits, so hopefully the bears will be hibernating by then. I pull the feeders in every night as I don't want to attract bears. If a bear decides to climb the outer fence, I will consider adding a hot wire to the top of the chain link fence. FYI, the pics I posted of the bear climbing the fence is a 30" fence for our dogs. The 4' fence was not in when those pics were taken.

Thanks fort everyone's help on my concrete question.

/ Bear Proof Bird Feeder - Too Late In the Season for Concrete? #10  
Here is a quick solution, take the bird feeders in and let the birds eat what they should eat and what they have eaten for thousands of years and survived in doing so. Wild animals don't need humans that's for sure..

I have several bears a week that come through my place, if I had any kind of feed out there it would be a nightmare..