BCS and US made walkbehinds

/ BCS and US made walkbehinds #11  
js5020 said:
Well Mac, I'll give you my thoughts and experiences. As far as I know the only new 2 wheeled "tractors" in the states are BCS, Grillo, Goldoni (sp), oh almost forgot Gravely ( rebadged Rapid ). The Gravely is priced way out of it's market, shoot I can get a luxury John Deere or Kubota rider with a mower deck and a snowblower for the price of it, I mean 14k for just the tractor, to high a price for me. Goldoni is also priced higher than BCS or Grillo and I don't know of any dealers within 200 miles of me. Grillo is new, although pricing looks good but again not much of a support network. BCS is priced well and has a dealer network here in the states. As far as older used Gravely's, parts are not a problem here in the states as long as your dealing with the right people. So my answer to your question is BCS is the lowest price, best supported, quaility machine available in the US.
Agreed. Seems that Florida is lacking any dealers though. While states like Ohio are overrun with them. But when the BCS is put alongside even the worst of the Gravely 2-wheelers designs, the BCS still comes out a poor second to it.

/ BCS and US made walkbehinds #12  
FlaDon said:
Agreed. Seems that Florida is lacking any dealers though. While states like Ohio are overrun with them. But when the BCS is put alongside even the worst of the Gravely 2-wheelers designs, the BCS still comes out a poor second to it.

I'd take the BCS over any Gravely. Gravely's are robust, but no where near as refined.

/ BCS and US made walkbehinds #13  
I think that part of the reason we see so few 2 wheel tractors in the US is that (sadly) we are a nation of folks that like to sit down while working. Early 4 wheel tractors didn't have a seat and required the operator to stand no a platform to drive the thing, now we have climate controlled cabs with stereo radios. The new Gravely tractors are made by Rapid in Europe, and are priced very high, I don't see large sales for them, but they will sell to a niche market that requires the high manuverability of a 2 wheel machine. Although not a true 2 wheel tractor, Troy-Bilt tillers continue to sell well because of decades of excellent marketing and they are still a quality machine, while many other companies have gotten out of even building 2 wheel tillers.

I am reminded of a time I was in a very remote part of the Philippines and asked by my new uncle-in-law what country had the hardest working people, Russia, USA, Japan or the Philippines. I answered the Philippines as I had just witnessed the construction of a new house being built there. All the materials were delivered a mile away at the end of the road and then hauled on the shoulders of the people building the house up a very narrow path, across a narrow bridge then up a mountain to the site where the house was being built completely with hand tools. I commented that Americans would have strengthened and widened the bridge and extended the road so that we could have the truck deliver the materials directly. The typical suburban American has little liesure time and wants his equipment to do a lot at the maximum convenience and be reliable. Two wheel tractors do a lot and can be had at high quality levels, but are not as convenient as a 4 wheel machine that allows the operator to sit.