BCS 38 Inch Mower

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower
I was a little frustrated with the lawn mower in the pasture, and I didn't want to spend the extra money on a flail, so I got a 26 inch brush mower. It is awesome. That's what I needed. The grass wasn't as dense at it was in August, but i was pleased with it. Thanks all.

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower #12  
I have the same setup as you, 107D with 26 inch brush mower. It is awesome.

Two problems I've had over 6 years; the rubber flaps on front and back fall apart (I abuse the machine by cutting lots of close packed wild shrub like plants) and I have broken two of the shoulder bolts that hold the blades to the drum.

Once a blade came flying out of the rear of the mower, struck me in the ankle and knocked me down. I was sure the ankle was broken, but after a few minutes I got up and it was fine. Just developed a large contusion. I used my metal detector to find the blade, it was 30 feet away.

Now I mow with the handlebars offset when possible.

I'm looking at replacing the rubber flaps with chain.

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower #13  
I have the same setup as you, 107D with 26 inch brush mower. It is awesome.

Two problems I've had over 6 years; the rubber flaps on front and back fall apart (I abuse the machine by cutting lots of close packed wild shrub like plants) and I have broken two of the shoulder bolts that hold the blades to the drum.

Once a blade came flying out of the rear of the mower, struck me in the ankle and knocked me down. I was sure the ankle was broken, but after a few minutes I got up and it was fine. Just developed a large contusion. I used my metal detector to find the blade, it was 30 feet away.

Now I mow with the handlebars offset when possible.

I'm looking at replacing the rubber flaps with chain.

I can't imagine what it would take to break those shoulder bolts but I guess anything's possible. When I first bought mine years ago I replaced the rear rubber flap with a steel cover. Makes me feel a lot better after reading a few of these horror stories. Mower is standing upright with pto hitch under a can in the picture. (Picture should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.) I never had anything "flow" out under the back so no performance issues for me.
IMG_1651.JPG

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower #14  
I can't imagine what it would take to break those shoulder bolts but I guess anything's possible. When I first bought mine years ago I replaced the rear rubber flap with a steel cover. Makes me feel a lot better after reading a few of these horror stories. Mower is standing upright with pto hitch under a can in the picture. (Picture should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.) I never had anything "flow" out under the back so no performance issues for me.
View attachment 677542

Rocks, logs and stumps are what broke those bolts on mine, if I had to guess.

I thought about using a steel "flap" like yours, but I do an awful lot of backing and I'm pretty sure it would get over flexed and either bent or broken. How thick is that steel?

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower #15  
The steel is 7/64. As you can see, I welded little sides on, so it's not just a bent piece of steel. I have never caught anything on it backing up. (That I noticed at least.) But this thing is not going to bend with my 739 pulling on it. The wheels are going to spin way before anything bends. And even if you have twice as much traction it's not going to bend. I would say that you're not going to be able to damage it with a two wheel tractor. If you're worried about it use something thicker and bolt the little sides to the sides of the mower also.

I cut brush and wild rose bushes with mine so it's not like a whole lot of throughput is happening. I just get on top of the stuff to chop it up a little. The BCS video shows the guy mowing corn. Nothing like that for me but I honestly don't think my guard would make much difference. Hard to say.

You say you had "broken" two bolts. Did the shank of the bolt actually shear or did the head get worn down to the point where the bolt pulled out of the disk?

/ BCS 38 Inch Mower #16  

You say you had "broken" two bolts. Did the shank of the bolt actually shear or did the head get worn down to the point where the bolt pulled out of the disk?

Sheared off fairly clean at the head both times.