BB gun for pest control

/ BB gun for pest control #11  
I got a bunch of air guns. My favorite is my 22 cal Fortitude PCP. It's like a laser out to 100 yards. Rarely miss with it. Oh, and it's quiet. Great for follow up shots too.

/ BB gun for pest control
You need to determine the amount of power you are allowed to have then get a gun within that range. I believe the UK has a 12 fpe or 16 joule limit while Germany only allows 6 fpe.
In Holland, they are very fussy about fire arms, but there is no regulation on air guns, unlike neighbouring countries.

Pellets are more accurate at any distance than BBs.
Just to be clear: My nephews in Canada had BB guns, but they were shooting the same diabolo type ammo as we shoot an air rifle.
Is there a difference between pellets and BB ? And ive heard you can also shoot slugs in an air gun with sufficient power. What are we talking about, is BB and slug the same thing ?

I prefer .177 or 4.5 mm pellets due to their lower amount of drop with distance.
From what i read, muzzle velocity should be above 200 meter per second (650 feet per second ?) to avoid gravity to pull the trajectory down, yet it should be under 330 meter per second (1000fps) or the speed of sound, because the bullet gets unstabile when it comes back to subsonic speeds. The Gamo gas ram my colleague (licensed hunter) pointed me to, even shoots a .22 pellet at hypersonic speed. They dont even sell a .177 version, but there is a .25 version which they dont sell here....

Either way, the Gamo Extreme would put out a .22 pellet at 380m/s which is hypersonic. Should i try heavier slugs with such air rifle ?

For closer distances CO2 would work well but left sitting in the safe the cartridge would bleed down over time. For some in depth information become a member of Gateway to Airguns: Airgun Forum | GTA International Airgun Forum | 17,332+ Members
Yes my colleague goes rat shooting with his PCP with night vision at farms for a cost allowance, coffee and a beer late at night. I am not a frequent user so i prefer spring or gas ram air guns..

/ BB gun for pest control #13  
Just to be clear: My nephews in Canada had BB guns, but they were shooting the same diabolo type ammo as we shoot an air rifle.
Is there a difference between pellets and BB ? And ive heard you can also shoot slugs in an air gun with sufficient power. What are we talking about, is BB and slug the same thing ?

BB's are primarily for air guns without rifled barrels. you can shoot bb's out of an air rifle with a rifled barrel but accuracy suffers. Also BB's ricochet more than pellets. A slug is similar to a bullet used in a firearm cartridge , shaped different and heavier than a pellet

/ BB gun for pest control
BB's are primarily for air guns without rifled barrels. you can shoot bb's out of an air rifle with a rifled barrel but accuracy suffers. Also BB's ricochet more than pellets.
I just thought lets Google BB ammo... its just ordinary balls ! Well that clears it up.
I dont think they even sell that here, unless its plastic balls for Airsoft shooting...

/ BB gun for pest control #15  
I just thought lets Google BB ammo... its just ordinary balls ! Well that clears it up.
I dont think they even sell that here, unless its plastic balls for Airsoft shooting...
bb's are so common that I didn't think you wouldn't be familiar with them. I remember putting on motorcycle helmets with my friends and having bb gun fights with daisy bb guns . This was way before airsoft or paint ball. I ended up digging a bb out of my ass with a pocket knife so I wouldn't have to tell my parents what we had been up to.

/ BB gun for pest control #17  
I know that you are asking for rifle advice, but I prefer solutions that work when I'm not around;
This person has made a real profession of it and has, I think, great advice on trapping rats, which tend to be quite intelligent and prone to becoming trap/bait shy.

All the best,

Peter

/ BB gun for pest control #18  
Are you regulated in the energy max; I think UK has a joules/FT/lbs max energy for air rifles, before it requires some additional "ring kissing". Umarex makes some that use very large CO2 cartridges, but I don't know if they meet any of your regs or if you can get the large CO2 cartridges (88 gram cartridges). Umarex Fusion 2, 8 shot mag, upto 250 shots per 88gram cylinder or uses standard small CO2 also. Allows follow up shots, where a springer doesn't.

Edit: disregard the stuff about regulations. The Umarex isn't a speed demon, at around 650 fps with pellets, but is really affordable, decent capacity, ect

Last edited:
   / BB gun for pest control #19  
My suggestion is move to the states and live freely. I plug anything that moves out of my kitchen door with a rifle

/ BB gun for pest control #20  
My suggestion is move to the states and live freely. I plug anything that moves out of my kitchen door with a rifle

Not so fast
It's easy to move to USA if willing to live here under the radar IE. illegally, but moving here legally to live as a green card holder is quite another story!

It takes either marrying US citizen or advanced degree and good connections to get a firm job offer + sponsor or lot of money and probably hiring immigration lawyer plus lot of time etc. etc. for most applicants.

If above are not feasible, refugee status would help a lot.

Last edited: