Battery cable ends

/ Battery cable ends #1  

Locknut63

Tractor
LS3039
I have a 2011 LS R3039 tractor. I purchased used and it appears to have steal cable ends and they are always getting rusty. I would like to replace with new ends, any recommendations? Have seen copper, lead-antimony alloy and others? Thanks!!

/ Battery cable ends #3  
I like the terminal ends that you solder on, they tend to stand up more like a factory cable than most of the bolt ons.
It seems that most of the newer stuff comes with the small steel band terminals. My cousin had a corrosion problem on her Honda Fit; when I cleaned the posts and terminal ends the positive wouldn't tighten down, I had to file some of the inside of the clamp to get it to snug up good enough.

/ Battery cable ends #4  
i use steel terminal ends on the generators i service. if you use the felt pads and NOCO NCP2 paste or spray on the terminal, you will not see any rust or corrosion. i replace batteries on standby generators after 5 years using this method, terminals look new.

CB104-Website-Main-NCP2-Brush-On-Main.jpg

/ Battery cable ends #5  
I believe he's referring to 'steel' stranded actuator cables, not electrical and those all have swaged on ends. I'm just about to extend my ground clamp cable on my TIG welder to match the 25 foot hoses that my CK Worldwide water cooled torch has and I will be buying the appropriate sized solid copper, jacketed cable at my Air Gas supply store and I'll tin the ends and then apply them to my ground clamp and DINSE connector at the welder.

/ Battery cable ends #6  
An AGM battery will have far less corrosion than a typical car battery.

Are these standard post type battery terminals? I'd probably just use whatever heavy duty lead clamp on connector I can find.

/ Battery cable ends #7  
I have a 2011 LS R3039 tractor. I purchased used and it appears to have steal cable ends and they are always getting rusty. I would like to replace with new ends, any recommendations? Have seen copper, lead-antimony alloy and others? Thanks!!
You can buy copper or brass battery cable ends at most any decent hardware store. Do you know how to solder the new ends on? I'm assuming you don't have a crimper. You can make your own ends from 1/2" copper pipe. I did just this a few months ago because the original cable ends were not crimped properly and had become loose. If you do decide to solder on new cable ends then you must make sure there is no corrosion present on the cable. A good way to do this is to splay the cable end so that all the strands are separate. Then wash well with a baking soda and distilled water solution. After washing rinse well with distilled water. After washing and rinsing if the cable is brown with oxidation use some activated resin ELECTRONIC flux to clean the cable. When soldering apply heat to the new cable end only. Do not heat the cable itself. Use solder made for ELECTRONIC purposes only. Do not use flux made for plumbing. Though it will work quite well it will also wick up into the cable and will eventually corrode the cable to the point that it breaks. If it was my tractor and the cable ends were crimped tight I would wire brush off the rust and then give them the baking soda treatment and then paint the cable ends. Of course I would mask off the part of the cable end where it makes contact with the battery. I would also use those anti corrosion felt washers made for this situation as well as the anti corrosion paste.
Eric

/ Battery cable ends #8  
I believe he's referring to 'steel' stranded actuator cables, not electrical and those all have swaged on ends. I'm just about to extend my ground clamp cable on my TIG welder to match the 25 foot hoses that my CK Worldwide water cooled torch has and I will be buying the appropriate sized solid copper, jacketed cable at my Air Gas supply store and I'll tin the ends and then apply them to my ground clamp and DINSE connector at the welder.
Did you miss the word "battery" in thread title...

/ Battery cable ends #9  
Did you miss the word "battery" in thread title...
I did, thank you. Instead of proprietary battery post compound, I use Fluid Film on the battery posts after cleaning them. Harbor Freight sells a dandy post cleaner for 5 bucks, every day I might add.

The Fluid Film is much less expensive and keeps corrosion from degrading battery performance from high resistance oxidation. Gotta clean them first and that includes the connections to the starter and chassis too.

/ Battery cable ends #10  
I use an anti-oxidant paste (Penetrox, No-Alox, etc) on battery connections and it works fine.