Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,151  
Cheapest I can find is a ford maverick for $27.5k, toyota corola for $23.7, honda civic for $24.1k. Everyone has their preferences, but I wouldn't own any of those.

I would say cost of ownership is lower, charging, maintenance, etc. But I would say that's probably offset by a higher depreciation of the value when going to sell. It's hard to say, because there's not that many 10 year old used ev's. I would probably call it close to even.

If I pay 37k for an ev. Like I just did last week. It would have to be an SUV, because car's just don't work for me. With a tow package. If, after 10 years, it just completely died and I had to throw it in the trash, it would have cost me $3700 to own, per year, plus $333 in electricity, per year, to drive 10,000 miles per year. So just over 4k per year. Add 2 sets of tires plus fitting, that's an extra $800 per set, $1600, divide by 10, $16/yr.

So around 42k cost of ownership for 10 years. Resale of a 2014 nissan leaf right now shows about $3k.

ICE car is 25k, or 2.5k per year. Lets say you average 26 mpg, that's $1350 in fuel assuming $3.50/gal per year. Two $50 oil changes per year. Two sets of tires in 10 years. 2 sets of brake pads and brake pad service, that's about $250 these days if you DIY. So just over 4k per year.

Again, around 42k. Resale of a 2014 honda civic showed about $3000.

Brakes are funny in ev's. They have regen braking, and a guy i know has 100k on his tesla and we were just talking about this the other day and his pads look like they have about 70-80% life left.
IIRC you bought a deeply discounted EV from a company that may go "**** up". You are a braver man than I.

I will not buy a Tesla because the closest "dealer" is 200 miles away. I will not buy an "off brand" vehicle (EV or ICE) unless it is a "disposable". A $37k vehicle does not fit my definition of disposable. If something happens in the first few years, and the company is defunct, it presents too much of a risk.

If your EV lasts 10 years, you will have a result acceptable to you, but only time will tell if it was a wise choice.

ICE cars retain value and are easily repaired with affordable and plentiful parts. Not an opinion but fact.

BTW, your $3k value for a used 2014 Civic is low. Cannot find one under $8k and most are in the $10+k range. Not a huge deal, but better than an orphaned EV.

But comparing a full size EV to a Civic is silly. Apples and oranges.

You need a full size vehicle and I already have one. I want something as a second car that keeps miles off my primary vehicle ($50k+ to replace), is affordable, and cheap to operate.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,152  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,154  
I had 93% of the original capacity of my original traction battery at 10 years. "Yup! In need of immediate replacement!"

There you go again, guessing.

Greenworks doesn't seem to be using the best cells in their consumer products, but the commercial ZTR was designed and is built by another division. Saw it some years ago at a dealer-only show, before it was shipping.

Many Greenworks battery tools are sold under other brands such as B&D, Bad Boy, and others.

Has a 5 year 2000 hour commercial warranty. If you want to FUD about battery, the battery is covered 5 years. Also no maintenance for 2000 hours but to sharpen blades and air tires. That is pretty significant in a commercial environment.
Guessing???
Information straight from Greenworks!!!
2024_04_30_10.29.18.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,155  
To be fair, he isn't really credible in the scientific community. He's an actor. Not all opinions are created equal.
Is anyone posting "really credible in the scientific community"? :)

We have a genius changing transportation on earth and in space.

We have strangers with no known history or creditability calling an established genius an idiot. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who may be the true idoit :)

There is no informed individual that believes that the supercharger network is going to be downsized or shut down, but we have people given to emotional whims that like to put down people that they see superior to themselves. It's the crab story when someone is trying to get out of the pot, the others are pulling them back in.

Like many Elon Musk has been physically, mentally and emotionally abused his entire lifetime and since he is mega successful, he apparently has learned how to overcome the idiots in his life. So I think he will continue to do so no matter what is said on the www.

We can tell by posting demeanor who is for the whole and who just have a need to bash others.

Federal and State EV rebate schemes are not required to get people to buy EVs per Elon Musk.

If there are 75 year old wood utility poles that need replacing is one thing but to bribe some what successfully people to buy an ICEV or an EV that are going to buy one anyway is abuse to tax payers in my view.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,156  
IIRC you bought a deeply discounted EV from a company that may go "**** up". You are a braver man than I.

I will not buy a Tesla because the closest "dealer" is 200 miles away. I will not buy an "off brand" vehicle (EV or ICE) unless it is a "disposable". A $37k vehicle does not fit my definition of disposable. If something happens in the first few years, and the company is defunct, it presents too much of a risk.

If your EV lasts 10 years, you will have a result acceptable to you, but only time will tell if it was a wise choice.

ICE cars retain value and are easily repaired with affordable and plentiful parts. Not an opinion but fact.

BTW, your $3k value for a used 2014 Civic is low. Cannot find one under $8k and most are in the $10+k range. Not a huge deal, but better than an orphaned EV.

But comparing a full size EV to a Civic is silly. Apples and oranges.

You need a full size vehicle and I already have one. I want something as a second car that keeps miles off my primary vehicle ($50k+ to replace), is affordable, and cheap to operate.
Right, I bought a full size suv, but you can have a tesla or other ev's that are comparable for 35k that's more comparable to a civic.

Just got a call from the driver, he's 2 hours away.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,157  
I love this...I'll post it over my workbench if that's OK.
"One does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who may be the true idoit "
IDOIT

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,158  
Right, I bought a full size suv, but you can have a tesla or other ev's that are comparable for 35k that's more comparable to a civic.

Just got a call from the driver, he's 2 hours away.

Can't wait to see it. Congrats.

I think it would have been great if Tesla put solar cells in the roof glass of the Y's.