Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,172  
Darn behind a paywall.

There only seems to be one source for this statement that the car is being dropped. I saw the comment that Tesla internal communications were used.

What was the date on the memos??

No other sources have confirmed this as fact that I can find.

Elon has previously said that the design was well on it's way and that it would be produced at Giga Texas first.

Anyone have any other Info on dropping the 25K car?
Beware of EV terrorists! :)

Notice how some don't realize no passenger car makers have long term commitments to their dying ICE production lines. Every year they knock a few more in the head and send the lines off to be melted down. By 2050 most old ICE cars that have not been crushed will have been converted to EVS because of all the cheap EV motors and batteries available.

It's like with old tractors that have been restored are dirt cheap because the grandkids don't want to have anything to do with them because they live in a place where they don't place the store the suckers.

Today's kids are looking for self-driving EVS.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#17,174  
Not relevant. No one asks how much the 1300 mile EV weighs, it captures the simpleton media’s attention, and yours.

No Tesla ever used “small AA batteries.” You are confused by an April 1 “advertisement” of an Mercedes-Benz EV.

Originally Tesla used type 18650 cells. Bigger than AA. (AA would be 15505.) And was quite ridiculed at the time because Everybody Knew Large Cells Are The Only Solution. Research the Chevron/Texaco/Cobasys lawsuit against Panasonic and Toyota about 2006. Panasonic successfully built large cell NiMH which was used in the limited production hybrid Toyota Highlander. Panasonic/Toyota lost. Chevron was never able to economically build large cells using their own patents.

Other EVs to this day continue to try to use much larger cells than Tesla. Tesla/Panasonic is currently building 2170 and 4860 cells.
Relevant in many ways as previously explained. I will refrain from a menial retort out of respect for others on this thread.

About 1200 lbs per 100 kwh battery pack lets say roughly so you understand there is a range depending on the mfg and driving conditions. Range is about 250 miles if you average summer and winter driving . That means 6000lbs just for the battery. It would also mean physically 5 x 100 kwh battery pack would take away from vehicle dimension.

Yes I realize they are bigger than AA, its the concept I was referring to. The whole point which I will explain again..... Any human that sees the inside of a Li EV battery pack would think it ridiculous that its just a bunch of small AA like batteries. It has nothing to do with optimizing the efficiency of a Li battery...the issue is the cation battery tech itself.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,176  
Here is a current 13-minute interview with the father of the modern EV world today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,177  
It’s my understanding robo-taxi or whatever name….by law you still need a human driver sitting there .
Kinda kills the allure of it, no?
NYC has FSD taxis now! If you don't/can't pay doors lock and off to the closest precinct you go!
Here's one:
2024_04_05_19.26.02.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,178  
Gale, I suspect it is today‘s old people who are looking for FSD EVs and have the money to piss away on them.
In my case being short on savings I decided to keep working and signed up for the 32% annual SS Bonus to outright buy a new Tesla with FSD every 3 years with just the bonus money so I can pass down the prior Tesla. The way Tesla is lowering their COGS I may not have to wait 3 years to get the next one. In my case FSD is like FREE due to my fuel and maintenance savings on the high mileage 2010 Forrest that I paid $6,000.00 for in 2017 that just had the 105K PM performed that included new FelPro head gaskets.

I got kicked out of Amway years ago but I didn't forget their cult like teachings.

One can Play then Pay or one can Pay then Play!

Sadly the SS bonus has been cut to 24% and is heading to ZERO I expect.

I do have to stay alive to keep getting my SS bonus . Thankfully the model y is a world's safest car plus FSD reduces accident risk.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,179  
So, Tesla cannot compete in the entry level vehicle market. Their oft touted low-cost manufacturing model does not work as well as predicted.

And if BYD (or whoever) can eat their lunch on a $25k car, you know they can do the same on a $45k car.

People are looking for low cost and reliable cars. The hoopla with FSD makes almost no sense for the vast majority of EV users. Not many users who drive 50 miles a day are going to pay $200/mo for FSD. $7/day buys two gallons of gas per day and that is 100% of the fuel they need for go 50 miles. FSD might make sense for long trips for safety/fatigue reasons, but then we go back to the "gas station" model, and that is not ideal for EVs.

There are guys like fuddy who are getting more than 25 mpg on their daily driver. Heck my F150 gets 21 mpg!!

Reminds me of when the Japanese first brought in their econo boxes. They kicked our butt on affordable, economical and reliable cars. Then, once established, they started bring in Camry's etc etc. Civics and Corollas are still great cars with decades of solid history.

What concerns me is if Tesla cannot compete, how wtill our legacy automakers fare?
43 m.p.g. average! So far never less than 40mpg...$18K.
20240405_195338.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,180  
In my case being short on savings I decided to keep working and signed up for the 32% annual SS Bonus to outright buy a new Tesla with FSD every 3 years so I can pass down the prior Tesla. The way Tesla is lowering their COGS I may not have to wait 3 years to get the next one. In my case FSD is like FREE due to my fuel and maintenance savings on the high mileage 2010 Forrest that I paid $6,000.00 for in 2017 that just had the 105K PM performed that included new FelPro head gaskets.

I got kicked out of Amway years ago but I didn't forget their cult like teachings.

One can Play then Pay or one can Pay then Play!

Sadly the SS bonus has been cut to 24% and is heading to ZERO I expect.
We need to talk......how does one get kicked out of Amway???!!!