Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,091  
Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast April 23 at 4:30 p.m. Central Time (5:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial and business results and outlook.

Edit: Earnings will be reported April 23rd 2024, sales numbers were reported April 2nd.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,092  
How far out of my way to get there? 🤣
do the same thing you do for a gas station which doesn't have a Wendy's: go to a Wendy's drive-thru, place your order, then go to the "gas station".

Some people have no common sense.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,093  
I put New York City to Seatle Wa. into the "go anywhere" Tesla app and it's quite eye opening. That was without a trailer.

Some of the recommended charge times were 70 minutes, others were 60 or 40 minutes. I think it added about 14 hours to the trip.

Granted, at least one of those charge times could be eliminated for overnight sleeping.
Nope, didn't see it. No 70 minute charges for even the shortest, slowest charging Model Y Rear Wheel Drive.

Try a Model S. The longest is 40 minutes, 2nd longest is 25 minutes. https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=MS_...eattle King County WA@47.6061389,-122.3328481

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,094  
Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast today at 4:30 p.m. Central Time (5:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial and business results and outlook.
I hope they allow everyone 20 minutes for a bathroom break if meeting goes over 60 minutes . ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,095  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,096  
do the same thing you do for a gas station which doesn't have a Wendy's: go to a Wendy's drive-thru, place your order, then go to the "gas station".

Some people have no common sense.

There's a Wendy's at every exit. Haven't you heard, chargers don't use the gas station model. That'll be hit or miss.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,097  
I hope Tesla makes it. They are currently the only EV that "works" well enough for someone who wants to spend $40k+. IMO if Tesla gets in trouble, it will be the death spiral of EVs in the USA in my lifetime. Not good.

In another 7 years I will be 80. Too old to care about depreciation or if the battery will last 15-20 years (like an ICE engine and transmission will). There should be about 225K miles on the F150 by then and it will be 15 years old. I hope to get my last vehicle at 80, God willing.

The way technology is advancing, an EV has a good chance to fit 95% my needs by then. Unlikely to be driving hundreds of miles at a time, and by then, stopping every 150-200 miles for a charge/nap might be perfect! I would keep one of the pickups for things an EV is useless for in rural Michigan. But a new modern car would be a treat for an old man looking at the sunset of life.

Heck might, attract a 60 year old gold digger with a spiffy new $100-125k EV. Plugging in after 150-200 miles will have a new and amazing meaning! 20-30 minutes sounds about perfect. If I need a nap, she can drive the next leg of trip.

I am seeing an EV in my future.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,098  
I hope Tesla makes it. They are currently the only EV that "works" well enough for someone who wants to spend $40k+. IMO if Tesla gets in trouble, it will be the death spiral of EVs in the USA in my lifetime. Not good.

In another 7 years I will be 80. Too old to care about depreciation or if the battery will last 15-20 years (like an ICE engine and transmission will). There should be about 225K miles on the F150 by then and it will be 15 years old. I hope to get my last vehicle at 80, God willing.

The way technology is advancing, an EV has a good chance to fit 95% my needs by then. Unlikely to be driving hundreds of miles at a time, and by then, stopping every 150-200 miles for a charge/nap might be perfect! I would keep one of the pickups for things an EV is useless for in rural Michigan. But a new modern car would be a treat for an old man looking at the sunset of life.

Heck might, attract a 60 year old gold digger with a spiffy new $100-125k EV. Plugging in after 150-200 miles will have a new and amazing meaning! 20-30 minutes sounds about perfect. If I need a nap, she can drive the next leg of trip.

I am seeing an EV in my future.
They'll make it, they already have, but I still think the company is way overvalued at $300/share. In the next few years there will be a lot of good EV options. On the other hand, if a different administration takes over, that will slow the EV train down considerably.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,099  
Tesla has pushed the ranges down on the MYP on the EPA tests
303 down to 279 miles
No real difference in the battery / motor build. Just a more realistic estimate.

Between 2021 and 2023, the Tesla Model Y Performance was rated at 303 miles of EPA Combined range. Then, it moved down to 285 miles (initial estimate), which was further reduced to 279 miles, so the change compared to the 2023 model year is 24 miles or 7.9%.
I picked the performance because I was trying to simulate pulling a trailer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,100  
I saw an article a couple of days ago about a bicycle trail that was going to be built for 11,000,000.00. The trail was to be funded at 80% by the Federal govt. and 20% locally.
The last time I checked the federal govt. was in debt. Why should my Federal govt.(taxes that I pay) go deeper in debt for an unnecessary thing like a bike trail, that I will never use.
They are removing traffic lanes all over the city to put in bike lanes and I have not once seen someone on a bike… as in never in the neighborhoods.

One bike lane is near the parks but too many reports of cyclists being robbed at gun point for their very expensive bikes.

There is always money for some things but always a problem for the basics like trash, law enforcement, etc.