Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,771  
2030 is a long way off. Battery technology is rapidly advancing. More upside to electric than burners for many an industry. More upside, more interest, more investment, more money to be made.
From what I've read the administration backed off somewhat on their push toward EV adoption. The (big 3) share prices are all up today on the news. I'm not going to pretend to understand it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,772  
From what I've read the administration backed off somewhat on their push toward EV adoption. The (big 3) share prices are all up today on the news. I'm not going to pretend to understand it.
Stock is up because of the delayed forcing of EVs. (For a few more years anyway)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,773  
Stock is up because of the delayed forcing of EVs. (For a few more years anyway)
What I need explained is this:

The original proposal would have lowered "petroleum-equivalent fuel economy" ratings for electric vehicles by 72% in 2027. The final rules will instead gradually cut the EV mileage ratings through 2030 by 65%, giving automakers more time to adjust.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,774  
Does that mean if an EV is rated at 300 mpg now, the government will reduce that rating gradually by 65% through 2030 and thus reduce the mpg rating of the entire fleet of each of the "big 3" since they are making some EVs to offset the mpg of their ICE vehicles?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#16,775  
2030 is a long way off. Battery technology is rapidly advancing. More upside to electric than burners for many an industry. More upside, more interest, more investment, more money to be made.

2030 is right around the corner to me. There has historically been a great deal of “research-based” hype around new battery tech, but we have yet to see anything but Lithium (poor energy density) in EVs. Are you seeing something different that has made it to a production EV?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,776  
The market overall.....

Soft landing affirmations/confirmations, strong labor market, stubborn inflation, consumer spending and.....possible rate cuts.

High tide syndrome.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,777  
2030 is right around the corner to me. There has historically been a great deal of “research-based” hype around new battery tech, but we have yet to see anything but Lithium (poor energy density) in EVs. Are you seeing something different that has made it to a production EV?
In production no.

Research is still king.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,778  
He said the technology has been around for 40 years but it was Tesla who got the industry off of top dead center by specing out to rest of the automakers their approach. Tesla is still the solo reason EVs are displacing the ICE industry today. It will be 2028 before it is clear to all readers I expect.
Sooner than that:
"Tesla has promised to launch an entry-level vehicle priced at around $25,000 as soon as late 2025."

#16,779  
What I need explained is this:

The original proposal would have lowered "petroleum-equivalent fuel economy" ratings for electric vehicles by 72% in 2027. The final rules will instead gradually cut the EV mileage ratings through 2030 by 65%, giving automakers more time to adjust.

No they are trying to get at apples to apples. So overall a vehicle manufacturer needs to hit a certain mpg target for all vehicles they deliver. If a truck is 20 mpg and a EV is 80, the average is 50 mpg…. if the ratings are going down by 50%, let’s say today the average is 30 mpg overall. To meet the new mark it would need to be 45 mpg overall.

#16,780  
In production no.

Research is still king.

No it’s not…research is just research. Most of these will never make it to market. Demonstrating in a lab vs. figuring out a way to mass produce and support a model are very different.

I do hope we get some new tech…..but we still have a way to go.

Toyota was even working on an ammonia based ICE…burns much cleaner than gasoline/diesel. We know we need to reduce emissions….just have to wait and see what wins.