Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,651  
My most dependable hardest working loaded way over the max and on property towing trailers of dirt and firewood is a Japanese car Consumer reports killed in the United States...

My Suzuki Samurai...

It is one tough son of a gun with 130,000 hard miles with only a clutch disk and $17 bearing in the gear case at 99k miles.

Absolute bottom of the barrel ratings by Consumer Reports... go figure?
I had several back in the mid 80’s. They were just plain fun vehicle. Very slow and not much for passenger safety but they could go almost anywhere.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,652  
It is sort of wild how valuations have plummeted. And to be fair, this isn’t a Tesla thread, it’s an EV thread, which looks at the sector as a whole I’d presume. And the sector as a whole, is sort of a mess at the moment. The fed demanding a certain % of cars be EVs for environmental reasons, automakers trying to comply, but getting financially hammered while doing so. Buyers being bribed into buying with large scale tax incentives. I’d be much more pro EV if mandates went away and tax incentives were removed. Im not a big fan of large government picking winners and losers. All of this happening during a historic inflationary period. I’m so weary of the talk of inflation and also the promotion of more and more subsidies.
I'm weary of inflation talk too but I'm even more tired of inflation itself. $50 for breakfast for 3 last weekend was about the last straw for our family dining out. When a business charges $3 for fountain drinks and $2.50 for coffee in a very depressed economic area I don't see how it's sustainable. Groceries prices are very inflated so much that we spend close to double what we spent pre covid.

I wish the federal government would have stayed out of the EV business and let them sink or swim on their own.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,653  

To me, the R2 is much more aesthetically pleasing. It actually looks like an SUV, and not a pregnant sedan.

Our grocery bill doubled since pre covid, but it was alleviated a bit when my daughter finished school and moved out. We rarely eat out, we have a really detailed budget, and it's easy to spend $30+ at Burger King with three people. That, is insane.

The more money we spend, that we don't have, the worse it will become. My daughter isn't concerned about the environment, as much as she is concerned about how to afford to live. Our 8 acres was purchased for $50k, 6 years ago. Today, it's about $200k for the land alone... Not to mention the home and 40x60 shop we built. Hard for folks starting out, to get a start. The best thing we did for both of our kids, was to make sure they enter adulthood with zero debt. No car notes, not college loans... The rest is up to them. They will probably replace their current cars with low mileage ICE vehicles, because that is the most cost effective option at the moment.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,654  
I'm weary of inflation talk too but I'm even more tired of inflation itself. $50 for breakfast for 3 last weekend was about the last straw for our family dining out. When a business charges $3 for fountain drinks and $2.50 for coffee in a very depressed economic area I don't see how it's sustainable. Groceries prices are very inflated so much that we spend close to double what we spent pre covid.

I wish the federal government would have stayed out of the EV business and let them sink or swim on their own.

But then they would have sunk... And pandering costs $$. All tax payers fund the re election of a President through the tax code. Student loan forgiveness?? I bet that reduces inflation too 😂

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,655  
But then they would have sunk... And pandering costs $$. All tax payers fund the re election of a President through the tax code. Student loan forgiveness?? I bet that reduces inflation too 😂
Remembering when mortgages were around 15% and parents worried their kids were never going to make it?

The panacea repeated over and over was the high interest is killing us.

So when rates dropped 80% the new problem is no one can afford the high prices.

Now Mortgages have doubled but still a fraction of the 15% when I bought and it's inflation causing the ills.

I'm beginning to think there will always be problems.

A big problem developing is insurance...

I know several seniors with modest paid off homes without Home Owners Insurance... their carriers left the State or are no longer writing.

Insurance is the backbone of the economy... no insurance, no mortgage, business, trade, etc...

As to Fast Food a como now is easy $15 so 3 for burger, fry and soda hitting $50

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,656  
Remembering when mortgages were around 15% and parents worried their kids were never going to make it?

The panacea repeated over and over was the high interest is killing us.

So when rates dropped 80% the new problem is no one can afford the high prices.

Now Mortgages have doubled but still a fraction of the 15% when I bought and it's inflation causing the ills.

I'm beginning to think there will always be problems.

A big problem developing is insurance...

I know several seniors with modest paid off homes without Home Owners Insurance... their carriers left the State or are no longer writing.

Insurance is the backbone of the economy... no insurance, no mortgage, business, trade, etc...

As to Fast Food a como now is easy $15 so 3 for burger, fry and soda hitting $50

Well, home cost as a function of income is a lot different than in the early 80s. Im not even concerned about interest rates. The rate increase just amplifies the pain of inflation.

image.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,658  
I don't see "do not charge EV every day". The author is a "climate scientist" not an engineer.

She is correct on "depth of discharge". The deeper the cycle the greater the wear. This is why hitting an EV or hybrid battery with thousands of relatively small charge/discharge cycles doesn't result in much wear.

Charging every day minimizes the depth of discharge, which maximizes battery life. My 10 year old battery was plugged in all night most every night for 10 years.
I did not put it in quotes so why do you look for it? The article says that battery longevity is connected to the number of charges and discharges including partial discharges.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,659  
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/*...1&cvid=2f5cf0ee63314d0ebd61723dad7d0b49&ei=12

***** admin set to finalize major gas car crackdown over warnings from automakers, energy industry​

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,660  
You sure do like to play with words to impress yourself as if you understand what Tesla does at a Supercharger. You've obviously never sat in a Tesla at a Supercharger and watched what happens. You haven't bothered to research any real data you only mine 3rd and 4th hand descriptions by others like yourself who do not understand and only talk among themselves.

This is an old chart from 2014. Sorry the units are not in the nonsense "percentage" you use, as is commonly used by spin analysts. Time vs miles of range on a V2 120 kW Supercharger.

Things don't magically slow down at "80%", has been slowing for a long time before that.

View attachment 857733

I had a Model S 85 which appears to have a 252 mile charge after 75 minutes. 80% would be 201 miles which is about 40 minutes. So that last 20% took 25 minutes when 0-80% took 40 minutes.

But none of this matters. Is minutia. If you really want a 100% charge then using L2 at home doesn't slow until the last few %.

You needlessly fret about Supercharger wear. Tesla goes to great lengths to minimize battery wear. My Model S had 93% of the original range after 10 years. 246 miles full charge, and the above chart was using 252.

You needlessly fret about corner conditions when Supercharging is slowed. But those corner conditions do not occur with L2 charging at home. Need I repeat, "Gas Station Model Fallacy"?

Grumpycat, you are more patient than I am with willfully ignorant posters.

Reminds of the saying "Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."