Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,621  
My neighbor that has the "Y" was critical of the Navigation system because of the cost of the updates, and because he could not plug in his phone and use Apple CarPlay navigation. But he also did not know the length (time) of the battery warranty. So Tesla owners What is the cost of the NAV updates and can you really not use Apple CarPlay?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,623  
I don't know and cannot find the information, I guess my search terminology is not right.

It is $9.99 a month for the upgraded service (Premium Connectivity) with NAV.

New buyers get 3 months comp, to hook them

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,624  
It is $9.99 a month for the upgraded service with NAV.

New buyers get 3 months comp, to hook them
It is worth it to me, I Like the Live NAV on the screen and also voice command music selection.
i don't have any Apple aps or devices so guess I don't miss it.
The Premium connectivity allows net surfing as well. The cars screen produces a Very high quality picture on streamed 4K. content.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,625  
Do not charge your EV every day for longevity.
Sincere Thank you for this article, it highlights the weaknesses ( that I and other EV realists were bringing forward) and mitigation techniques the industry is using to reduce degradation and range impacts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,626  
Sincere Thank you for this article, it highlights the weaknesses ( that I and other EV realists were bringing forward) and mitigation techniques the industry is using to reduce degradation and range impacts.
The data is different for all the different chemistries

On the MY's that the 4 members here have I believe UIAM all have 2170 NCA (Nickel Cobalt Aluminum) Panasonic cells.
If trying to get the "absolute" most life out of them there is wide agreement that dis charge to 35% and charge back up to only 55%. (Lowest cycle degradation)

But who is going to do that?

I plug in when not driving the car- I was setting the charge to 85% but last fall dropped it to 72% since driving most round trips is about 25 miles.

There is a test that can be done to nail down just how much capacity a vehicle has lost, but that requires charging to 100% and running to zero.
That seems like a sure fire way to "slightly" hurt the battery to me- so not going to do it.

Today was literally 1 year anniversary since picking the car up last St Patty's day.
They say the first year is the largest drop in storage capacity.

Calendar aging is actually more set in stone apparently.

I agree with what another poster in the linked thread said about charging...

"These findings are interesting to me but I won’t force myself or my wife to inconvenience ourselves, either".

ps poster of #236
is Not looking good...
If the projection is correct his battery will need repplacement at 40K miles... "2022 M3 LR 77.8 KWH NCA battery. I use it for my daily 30-35 miles; charge to 50 or 60% at 3.6 KW daily. Only 2X1500 mile trips using superchargers. The car + battery live a pretty charmed life; stored outside in Huntsville Alabama. I always precondition before leaving in the morning if the temperature is below 50F. Rarely floor it. I get my battery information from Tessie. The car has about 17K miles and it's not looking good for the battery - the projection is I'll hit 30% degradation at 40K miles. Thanks for your thoughts and comments"

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,627  
Following battery discussion...

My I phone 6s will be 9 years on original 2015 battery...

If EV owners are like many cell phone owners the cars would get traded every 3 or so years?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,628  
Saw this. Death spiral for sure at Hertz 🤓
Was talking to the local solar guys, they are installing a 300 kw system for hertz at the Brisbane airport to charge ev’s, apparently they are buying polestars.

this is Brisbane Australia