Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,961  
Didn't know it was a boxing match.

It would be nice to reintroduce some civility and useful debate back into this thread, rather than the school yard bickering and sniping that has consumed the last dozen pages. And that's not picking on DarkBlack, it's been coming from both sides.

The school yard antics are coming mostly from the few ardent haters of EVs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,962  
Just what the average American has….solar at home and office

No HOV lanes in my state that I am aware of.
They are all early adopters and Doctors where I work...

The very first Leaf in the East Bay delivered to an eye surgeon...

Started as only a handful but when I want to see what's new in automotive all I have to do is walk through the Doctors parking lot...

Scrub sink talk is all about solar power, grid tie, back up generators, tax credits, when to retire and EV technology.

Seldom hear about golf, travel, computers, etc... or the stick market.

In 33 years it has changed a lot... no more big Buicks and Cadillacs or Porsche and Mercedes.

Now mostly EV but also a fair amount of Hybrids too.

There was a time when 12 cylinder Mercedes and BMW were taking up space plus several Ferraris and assorted Porsches...

Big American no more... unless pickups which were never in the Doc lot before...

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,963  
The early EV adoptors in my circle bought because they have plenty of home and office solar, single occupant carpool privileges and tax incentives ..

The other elephant in the room, is California’s great success at creating inflation. The latest $20 minimum wage to flip French fries will continue that trend.
The average wage in your San Francisco is, 44% higher than my state’s capital city.
Everything is expensive in San Francisco, so jobs pay more there.

That makes a “fun”, niche market purchase of a $60k battery car, a lot less painful, or risky , for you and your well to do neighbors, than someone in my area, or even lower wage areas of the country than mine.

That new fun razzle dazzle new battery car is 44% more of our yearly wage than yours…and yes…. That matters

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,965  
You’re an outlier. An ICE only needs to be filled up every 400-600 miles, not every night.
Very rare for someone to not pass a single gas station in 400-600 miles.
I guess you’re in the minority

You are really are, by the very definition, an idiot. Not every ICE gets 600 miles to the tank. Our Mazda 3 would need to be filled every week as I don’t like to run the tank below 1/4 full. Who runs their tank to near empty before filling?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,966  
$12k depreciation in a year is terrible IMO
We bought a used 2003 Chevy Malibu in 2004 for $13,000
Its still in the family, our son is still driving that car.

I bought a used 1991 Ford F-250 4WD pickup in 1996
12k is over double what I paid for my I paid for that truck. I've owned it for 28 years and I'm still driving it

I bought a new 2013 Malibu and ten years later and 140k miles the engine cratered.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,967  
The other elephant in the room, is California’s great success at creating inflation. The latest $20 minimum wage to flip French fries will continue that trend.
The average wage in your San Francisco is, 44% higher than my state’s capital city.
Everything is expensive in San Francisco, so jobs pay more there.

That makes a “fun”, niche market purchase of a $60k battery car, a lot less painful, or risky , for you and your well to do neighbors, than someone in my area, or even lower wage areas of the country than mine.

That new fun razzle dazzle new battery car is 44% more of our yearly wage than yours…and yes…. That matters

You are going to love the $50 hour living wage proposals...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,969  
You are really are, by the very definition, an idiot. Not every ICE gets 600 miles to the tank. Our Mazda 3 would need to be filled every week as I don’t like to run the tank below 1/4 full. Who runs their tank to near empty before filling?
I like having interesting debates about different things here , with the intelligent people on this forum.

I don’t recall ever wanting to debate anything with you…