Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,941  
So we should work to bankrupt our own country? đŸ€”. What about leaving a better world for our kids... That's been mentioned in this thread more than once

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,943  
So we should work to bankrupt our own country? đŸ€”. What about leaving a better world for our kids... That's been mentioned in this thread more than once
"They" are doing that...bankrupting our country. Grumpy is helping them do it with your tax dollars. He is not wrong to take advantage of stupid policies if an EV will work for his needs. He would be stupid to not take the money.

Sometimes the answer is so obvious it is ignored.

I think most got the Covid Checks when they came out, and I bet very few people ripped them up. I did not need the money, but I took it. If that makes me greedy American, so be it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,944  
You got grump , on the ropes 😂
Didn't know it was a boxing match.

It would be nice to reintroduce some civility and useful debate back into this thread, rather than the school yard bickering and sniping that has consumed the last dozen pages. And that's not picking on DarkBlack, it's been coming from both sides.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,945  
I fully understand, you do not. But so what if not "everybody" gets the bribe? If Government offers a carrot one is stupid not to take it.

Possibly the greatest economist of all time, Milton Friedman, taught this lesson. That one should suck the teat dry if for no other reason than to kill it. His specific example was subsidized exports. That if Japan wants to subsidize steel then we should buy everything they can make and bankrupt them. We seem to be doing a good job bankrupting China. And our Federal government.
I'm just amazed at the reasoning here on the part of EV owners and the government.
What's the purpose (of EV purchase)?
To:
Save the planet?
Save money?
Go fast?
Entice purchase with tax money?
Discourage travel?
FSD to assist driving abilities (!!??!!)

I see a comedy of errors.

Interesting to me (ref:NTU):
"the top 50 percent of filers earned 90 percent of all income and were responsible for 98 percent of all income taxes paid in 2021. The other half of earners, those with incomes below $46,637, collectively paid 2.3 percent of all income taxes in 2021."

The government "offers a carrot" to the stupid paying the least tax as everyone's electric bill increases.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,946  
I'm just amazed at the reasoning here on the part of EV owners and the government.
To:
Save the planet?
Save money?
Go fast?
Discourage travel?

I see a comedy of errors.

Interesting to me (ref:NTU):
"the top 50 percent of filers earned 90 percent of all income and were responsible for 98 percent of all income taxes paid in 2021. The other half of earners, those with incomes below $46,637, collectively paid 2.3 percent of all income taxes in 2021."

The government "offers a carrot" to the stupid paying the least tax as everyone's electric bill increases.
At my age a vehicle is a tool. I want it reliable, repairable at reasonable cost, easy to sell when I upgrade, and economical to operate.

Saving the planet or children has no impact on what I buy because I do not believe the “experts”.

I get labeled as an EV hater by some people on this site because I do not buy into all the EV bullshit. And yes
some of it is bullshit.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,947  
To:
Save the planet?
Save money?
Go fast?
Discourage travel?
I haven't bought an EV yet, but if/when I do, the primary factors will be convenience and performance.

1. I want to just plug the car in when I get home at night, since driving 5-10 miles to the nearest gas station is a PITA. There are no gas stations along the route I drive in my daily travels, and in 7 years with my present sedan, it's never been more than 100 miles from my house. Ideal scenario for charging it overnight at home.

2. I've driven a handful of EV's, and while admittedly all higher-performance models, they're a hell of a lot of fun at local-road speeds. Their off the line launch torque is just mind-bending, and I don't really need a 200 mph car.

Everything else on your list is of lesser importance to me.

Save the planet? Can't hurt, but not a primary goal.

Save money? Not at present. They are mechanically much simpler than ICE's, so someday their cost should trend below ICE. But that won't happen until the sales volume and new development both reach a point where cost is not dominated by R&D expense.

Go fast? Hell yeah, as always. But I also only buy fast ICE's, so not a primary factor.

Entice purchase with tax money? I probably make too much to qualify for any available incentives.

Discourage travel? Huh?

FSD to assist driving abilities (!!??!!) Hell will freeze over, before I buy or use FSD. I like driving.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,948  
1. I want to just plug the car in when I get home at night, since driving 5-10 miles to the nearest gas station is a PITA. There are no gas stations along the route I drive in my daily travels
You’re an outlier. An ICE only needs to be filled up every 400-600 miles, not every night.
Very rare for someone to not pass a single gas station in 400-600 miles.
I guess you’re in the minority

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,949  
You’re an outlier. An ICE only needs to be filled up every 400-600 miles, not every night.
Very rare for someone to not pass a single gas station in 400-600 miles.
I guess you’re in the minority
That's fair. Even most of my life, I was passing at least one gas station in my daily or weekly travels, this is the first extended period where my daily route has me passing none.

But also let's realize that no one is filling up before their tank drops below half, and most below quarter. If I happen to pass a gas station when I still have 400 miles of range in the tank, I'm not stopping. It's always in the last 100 miles of range, when one starts planning the gas stop.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,950  
It lost $12k in value in a year? I'd vote no? 25% of it's value? Unless I'm missing something. My last car purchase was only $20k... Your depreciation paid for half of my CRV.
$12k depreciation in a year is terrible IMO
We bought a used 2003 Chevy Malibu in 2004 for $13,000
Its still in the family, our son is still driving that car.

I bought a used 1991 Ford F-250 4WD pickup in 1996
12k is over double what I paid for that truck. I've owned it for 28 years and I'm still driving it

Last edited: