Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,851  
We are seeing what most of us predicted wrt to EVs. The surge is ebbing, and companies are having to back pedal.
My first boss was a young (early 40's... seemed old to me then!) entrepreneurial type, who'd had early success in business, and was just getting into investing the money he had made. He used to like to tell me the stock market was "governed by nothing but fear and greed", this being the mid-1990's when Microsoft stock went soaring above any legitimate company assets or real value.

I think this is what we're seeing WRT companies investing in and pursuing EV technology. They're afraid to miss the bandwagon, initially greedy or envious in seeing what Tesla was able to do early on, but now seeing this is going to be a hard slog through infantile tech that is just beginning to blossom.

It's inevitable that there are going to be some serious hiccups along the way, and winners and losers that will only be identified in hindsight. Anyone remember Netscape? AOL? Webcrawler? That's where we are with EV's, today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,852  

Am starting to think some have not actually grasped the WHY of ICE death spiral.

This 22 minute video should help enable most to wake up and get a glimpse of the unboxed method of car manufacturing and why it's is the way forward for the first time perhaps.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,853  
My first boss was a young (early 40's... seemed old to me then!) entrepreneurial type, who'd had early success in business, and was just getting into investing the money he had made. He used to like to tell me the stock market was "governed by nothing but fear and greed", this being the mid-1990's when Microsoft stock went soaring above any legitimate company assets or real value.

I think this is what we're seeing WRT companies investing in and pursuing EV technology. They're afraid to miss the bandwagon, initially greedy or envious in seeing what Tesla was able to do early on, but now seeing this is going to be a hard slog through infantile tech that is just beginning to blossom.

It's inevitable that there are going to be some serious hiccups along the way, and winners and losers that will only be identified in hindsight. Anyone remember Netscape? AOL? Webcrawler? That's where we are with EV's, today.

It's obvious Tesla is leading the EV industry and has focused on EV cars for 10 yrs and counting.
GM hit a homerun with the cost effective Bolt (which we own) which I believe benefited from the tech advancements in the previous Volt hybrid.
I don't know of any other company that has produced a cost effective EV.
The fact that you still have ICE mfg's that can't produce a reliable ICE vehicle at this point in time is mind boggling.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,855  

Am starting to think some have not actually grasped the WHY of ICE death spiral.

This 22 minute video should help enable most to wake up and get a glimpse of the unboxed method of car manufacturing and why it's is the way forward for the first time perhaps.

Same people that would have fought the change to cars from the horse and buggy.
Entire businesses went extinct once the horse and buggy was not mainstream. Businesses that cleaned the horse manure from the streets in large cities to the small shops that shoed horses.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,858  
I'd say they "don't mesh with what we want", Don. The older I get, the more I'm realizing that I, or really most people who'd hang out on a tractor forum, do not represent the masses. My 14 year's friends will go so far as to say they probably won't ever need a license, thanks to Uber and FSD. I couldn't even imagine having ever thought that way at that age, I was just itching to get a license and a car!
We used to have to drive some where and park to make out, soon it can just be done as the car auto drives. So no it’ll never be like we had it, but it might be better.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,859  
I've said it several times, no matter what Dodge does with the Challenger and Charger SRT EV's, it is going to have to be absolutely sublime. They have built up a huge fan base, in this second golden era of muscle cars, with their 6.4L and 6.2L turbo engines, making 500 - 850 hp. I own one, and can tell you they'll pass almost everything else on the road... except gas stations.

To win over this petrol-head crowd, which might be as closely-aligned to the "anti-EV" crowd as any other inhomogeneous group, these new SRT BEV's are going to have to be the top performers available at their price point.

We used to have to drive some where and park to make out, soon it can just be done as the car auto drives. So no it’ll never be like we had it, but it might be better.
As much as I'd like to always believe things were better when we were young, and they were in many ways, I have to admit these kids are getting a lot of things right today. Their willingness to collaborate instead of always compete is one thing that I always find most remarkable. They're also a heck of a lot nicer to each other, and less confrontational, than most of us were when I was growing up. I think they're going to be just fine, or at least enough of them will.

One quote that's stuck with me for more than 20 years now, came from an Amish father, in the huge fight the Amish had against the PA school boards in the 1990's. The state of PA was pushing to force them to stay in school through grade 10 or 12, when custom had them pulling their kids out of school by grade 8. The state was trying to pass new laws to force this, stating that the Amish parents were not preparing kids for life in the modern world. One Amish father responded with something like, "we're not trying to prepare them to live in your world, we're trying to prepare them to live in our world." The guy probably had no more than a 6th grade education, but I'd say he was pretty thoughtful, based on that statement alone.