Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,561  
Way Back When, they used to say the butt-ugly square Mustang (the one that replaced the Mustang-II) only required 12 HP for 50 or 55 MPH.

Modern automotive engines really are tuned to produce maximum specific-HP fuel economy at low outputs.
12 HP at 55 U.S. is a bit of a stretch. Probably with no A.C., no electric load, perfect, no contacting brake pads, undocumented tailwind, etc…

In any case, you just unwittingly proved my point.
That’s awesome.
A car engine at a low output (12 hp according to you here) , is very inefficient.

If a car engine was efficient at a low output like 12hp, that mustang would have been getting 70 mpg+…
Look up the mpg for 79 (replacement for mustang II). Highway mpg is 25-30 depending on engine.
Not very efficient for a small lightweight vehicle.

Of course you’ll shrug this off, and continue to insist engines are most efficient at light loads…

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#15,562  
Is a test. That you don't know of the gasoline-vs-diesel controversy/wars speaks a lot about your background.

That you didn't even search for yourself, demanding I provide links (which I would have cherry picked) says another thing.

Others have posted links in this thread to the controversy on this site.
So there is no war. did I pass?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,563  
12 HP at 55 U.S. is a bit of a stretch. Probably with no A.C., no electric load, perfect, no contacting brake pads, undocumented tailwind, etc…

In any case, you just unwittingly proved my point.
That’s awesome.
A car engine at a low output (12 hp according to you here) , is very inefficient.

If a car engine was efficient at a low output like 12hp, that mustang would have been getting 70 mpg+…
Look up the mpg for 79 (replacement for mustang II). Highway mpg is 25-30 depending on engine.
Not very efficient for a small lightweight vehicle.

Of course you’ll shrug this off, and continue to insist engines are most efficient at light loads…
BTT, When is an EV motor most efficient?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,564  
BTT, When is an EV motor most efficient?
That would depend on the exact motor, and motor control scheme, and if you’re measuring just the motor, or the motor plus control electronics plus battery discharge rate efficiency.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,565  
You do not understand "specific HP efficiency". At what RPM does the engine make 20 HP with the least fuel?

This is the question engineers must answer to produce an ICE with best overall MPG ratings. This is why we have CVT and 10 speed transmission. The ECU is programmed to run the engine at the RPM for best fuel consumption at the HP necessary for what the driver is asking for.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,566  
At what RPM does the engine make 20 HP with the least fuel?
… now you’re totally changing the debate you started with me last week.

Don’t be one of them.
Stand by your original assertion

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,568  
… now you’re totally changing the debate you started with me last week.

Don’t be one of them.
Stand by your original assertion
It's obvious to me that you are both arguing two different points. The argument needs to be defined clearly or it will go on forever.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,569  
Way Back When, they used to say the butt-ugly square Mustang (the one that replaced the Mustang-II) only required 12 HP for 50 or 55 MPH.

Modern automotive engines really are tuned to produce maximum specific-HP fuel economy at low outputs.

Since you don’t know how to interpret engine efficiency charts, or simply don’t want to acknowledge them as true, because you conflate vehicle efficiency with engine efficiency, let’s have a little fun here with your numbers:

Post mustang II..1979
County’s speed limit=55
Hp for 55 mph =12
Best case highway rated mpg=30

That calculates to that smallest available mustang engine in that lightweight car consuming 1 gallon every 32.7 minutes to make just 12 horsepower.
High fuel consumption rate for so little power.
As expected, as predicted by all ICE engineering data.
But of course… you’ll find a way to disagree….
🥱

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,570  
It's obvious to me that you are both arguing two different points. The argument needs to be defined clearly or it will go on forever.
He just changed it for his convenience.
I wrote ICE are most efficient up near maximum torque , with revs up (meaning not at 1,000 rpm’s). I should have worded that rpm part better, I had a feeling someone would misconstrue it

He responded wrong they’re most efficient at 15-25% loaded.

Last edited: